how to keep dash from cracking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just swapped out my dash for a used one that is in perfect condition. i already have cracks around the defrost mount holes. is there a good way to repair it? and prevent it from happening? I assume th new dash plastic was just brittle from age? I'd Love to get my hands on a new mint dashboard.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just swapped out my dash for a used one that is in perfect condition. i already have cracks around the defrost mount holes. is there a good way to repair it? and prevent it from happening? I assume th new dash plastic was just brittle from age? I'd Love to get my hands on a new mint dashboard.

LMC Truck sells a dash reinforcement kit that distributes the load a little more evenly around those screw holes by the defroster. It's basically some little metal spacers that mount under the screw heads. Won't help you if there's a bunch of cracks already, but it seems to be keeping the mint dash in my red truck pretty nice.

https://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=30

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Besides reinforcing it, a few do it yourself tips to keep it in the best shape possible. My mint dash is my number 1 interior priority.
1. Invest in a large, think sun shade visor that covers the entire dash and cover your dash when you're away from the vehicle for more than an hour.
2. Weather permitting, crack your windows and let the interior vent out from the heat.
3. Keep it clean and dust free to keep it color.
4. And this one is crucial, if you forget the shade or its just hot, always let the windows down for a time before cranking the AC. I know people and have heard stories of extreme heat on the dash and as soon as they threw the AC on high on defrost or front panels that sucker split like Pangeia from the rapid temp change.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As for repairing, I've heard fiberglass is a good substitute. Might want to look into that.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll add something to that damage prevention list.

If at all possible, and especially if it's hot outside... Park it indoors! My red truck has spent much more time in a garage than my Suburban has over the course of their lives, and it really shows. The truck actually got worked hard early on and it's still in really nice shape. The Suburban was babied and it has several dash cracks and rust issues galore.