How to convert off-road lights to HID's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Do you have any shots from inside the truck? I want to get some square fogs for my diesel bumper. I would like to make sure that the light output is a wide angle, not like a pencil. Just wondering how it looked. Thinking about going with 100w KC halogens....but IDK.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Code:
HIDs withought any sort of projector or reflector cap are extremely wide and that is why they are illegal on roadways like this because the entire light spectrum from the bulb is seen (This is why you see the infamous glare in a lot of non-stock HID set-ups). I used to have projectors and took out the cutoff inside the projector and it was insane how much light was projected. Road signs lit up like christmas trees lol but they blinded the hell out of anyone else outside the truck..

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
So you think maybe 100w driving lights would be good for my application. Eventually I'm going to put two round lights in my grill that will be more for distance, and wired on a seperate switch. I just want plenty of light, but slightly spread out, like fogs. I know most fogs are 55w, but didn't know if I'd be better going with the 100w???

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
With the off road lights, the reflector is designed to be a beam of light, but with the hid bulb being longer, it does spread the light beam some but not a whole lot.

If the housing is designed to be wide angled, the hid light will be wide angled. If its mean to be a beam, it will be a beam with the hid as well. I don't have any from behind the lights but I can get some when I get my truck fixed.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. Went looking for lights yesterday, but couldn't find any that either fit or I liked.

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow this is a great writeup! I'm definitely gonna do this, i would also like to see some pics from inside your truck whenever you get a chance.

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which bulbs did you go with 4300k or 6000k ? I'm about to do a 6000k conversion on my kc slimlites

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which bulbs did you go with 4300k or 6000k? I am converting my slimlites over to HID too