How to convert off-road lights to HID's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I went with 10,000k. And I'm about to order more for my truck and go with 5k. I have about 15 sets of 10k at home that I planned on using for someone to make a bunch, then he backed out on me.

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey man could you put up a couple pics of the lights from in the cab. thanks!

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
has anyone done this with any of the square/rectangle housings yet??

not a big fan of the round lights on the front of my truck so i wanted to do a set of the rectangle ones in the holes of a diesel bumper or mounted under the bumper by my frame rails that hang down under the bumper from the body lift

i also want a set of led or hid lights to mount on my headache rack in addition to my lightbar work lights for more rear lighting too

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
has anyone done this with any of the square/rectangle housings yet??

not a big fan of the round lights on the front of my truck so i wanted to do a set of the rectangle ones in the holes of a diesel bumper or mounted under the bumper by my frame rails that hang down under the bumper from the body lift

i also want a set of led or hid lights to mount on my headache rack in addition to my lightbar work lights for more rear lighting too
I just did this in an old set of KC 57 series (the rectangle ones) and it was the same precedure. The body of the light seems smaller than the round ones but I ordered the same kit as in the original post and they fit great. I plan on doing it to a set of rectangle Blazers that I have sitting around too so i'll let you know how that works out.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok cool

i knew it would be the same work but wanted to know what kinda results to expect from them

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did adam on the ones that fit in diesel bumper real easy but im having issues with em i cant figure out. i have to flip swithc a few times for em to come on and then when they do only one does and it is sometimes drivers sometimes passenger im confused

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its after motors on. the ground are together on the rad support. i measured 14 volts at the wires i ran from relay that plug into the ballests. ground could be problem?

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Have you ever had HIDs before in anything?

The only downside to HIDs is that if they are "surged" power, as in how power surges through the system while your truck is cranking (open your door so the int lights are on, then start the truck. See how the lights dim? That's the "surge" I was talkig about) that's about the best example I can think of.

On OBS trucks that don't have automatic lights, you just crank the truck, then turn the lights on, but on nbs trucks like a friend of mine has, when he turns the key on, the headlights automatically come on and when he cranks it, that surge usually kicks one of the bulbs off. We disabled his automatic lights, and it works fine now.

That's basically a long drawn out way of saying, wait until after the truck is cranked to turn the lights on. :lol: