How do I disassemble the steering co0lumn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

Attempted to put in a new multifunction switch today...went with the "tie a string to the end and use it to snake it back down method" and wound up breaking the string. :mad:

So, the new switch is in, but the wiring for it is just running alongside the column and it looks like sh*t.

How do I disassemble the steering column so I can snake the new switch wiring down where it needs to be?

I assume I'll need a steering wheel puller, and recommendations, or will just about any one do?

After the wheel is off, what then?

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, what I've done for the time being is this....

You know how on the 88-94 trucks when the steering is tilted all the way up there is a 1/3" opening or so at the bottom where you can see the wires? Wrapped a nice thin wire around the connector a dozen times or so, and took about 10 minutes to work it in that opening and down the column. Once I saw the wire, I pulled it through (carefully) and the connector with it. Few hang ups, but it's good for the most part. Still not routed correctly, but not a huge eyesore either.

I found a video online for disassembling the column, hopefully though I will have access to feed that connector through....not looking like there is much access down there.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
to take everything apart you pull steering wheel, then theres like a snap ring, and another clever gizmo. last time i was inside my column i tightened all my tilt screws and made sure everything i good order so i didnt have to do it again.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's one problem this truck has.

The tilt works fine, and isn't wobbly, but for example....

You have the wheel adjusted to any position, and your hand is at the top of the wheel. If you go to say, give it full throttle, your hand puts stress on the top of the wheel as you go back, and the wheel suddenly snaps down to the lowest tilt setting. It's like the teeth to lock it in place don't grip like they should.

Another example, if I was to get out of the truck and grip the bottom of the wheel for some leverage, it'll snap down as well. Is this normal, or is something likely loose/broken in the column?

Keep in mind, under normal circumstances, it's fine. I can even tug on it a little and it won't snap down, just when a moderate amount of pressure is applied.

Yeah, I'm debating on replacing the turn signal switch and ignition cylinder while I am in there, just for preventative maintenance.