Horrible sound at idle and during shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uh-oh

Reaction score
4L60E 95’ k1500 ext cab 5.7
Did filter and fluid change last year. The trans has a low pitch grinding sound at low rpm and during gear changes at higher rpm you’ll hear it grind a bit faster. I’m thinking about starting at the flexplate and working my way back. Any ideas on this one?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4L60E 95’ k1500 ext cab 5.7
Did filter and fluid change last year. The trans has a low pitch grinding sound at low rpm and during gear changes at higher rpm you’ll hear it grind a bit faster. I’m thinking about starting at the flexplate and working my way back. Any ideas on this one?
Grinding and whining, if coming from the trans, sounds like gear train and/or torrington bearing failure. Be prepared to overhaul the transmission, if in fact that is the source of the noises. Since you have a T-case, that will also have to be ruled in or out...

Uh-oh

Reaction score
Okay it’s less of a grinding sound and more of a slow turning growl. I played with my tps sensor a bit and it stopped for a while. I could still slightly hear the howl/grind during the shift point in the rpm range from 1-2.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay it’s less of a grinding sound and more of a slow turning growl. I played with my tps sensor a bit and it stopped for a while. I could still slightly hear the howl/grind during the shift point in the rpm range from 1-2.
See above....Regardless of what words you want to use, if such noises are coming from the transmission, it's coming out for overhaul.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try to pinpoint the source using a mechanics stethescope while the vehicle is idling up on all four jack stands.

Uh-oh

Reaction score
I’m thinking it maybe have more to do with my tps sensor. I adjusted it a bit more and I get good shifts until I give it over 30-40% throttle.

Uh-oh

Reaction score
I’m thinking it maybe have more to do with my tps sensor. I adjusted it a bit more and I get good shifts until I give it over 30-40% throttle.
Then it shifts from 1-2 at 3k rpm same at 2-3 it has yet to go into 4th

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The elevated shift points, yes - could def be tps.

The noise?

Nope.

That is 100% indicative of a mechanical problem in the transmission, if in fact it's coming from the transmission which is why I recommended a mechanc's stethescope to help you confirm or deny the trans is the source.

If there isnt any noise concern, just the elevated shift points, id go to the junkyard, buy a good shape tps for like $5 and see if it changes anything (continuity test it first, if you can).

Uh-oh

Reaction score
Verified tps is working properly. Has a bouncing idle when coming to a stop.