home link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superchevyguy93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys so i looked for like 30 minutes trying to figure out how to wire in my home link system i got out of an nbs i was wondering what the easiest way to wire it up and then how do i program it?

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
You talking about for an OHC?
Give me a few, I'll find what wires are what. I put it in mine a while back...
The following is for 99+ which should have you covered if yours is out of a NBS. Mine was out of an older one IIRC and had Orange, Black, and Yellow.

Edit:
Copied from http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?59-The-Overhead-Console-Thread/page2&highlight=homelink

Orange: 12+ (switched is optional if you don't want someone opening your garage door when sitting outside or something)
Purple/yellow: Ground
middle wire which can be green, red or who knows is illumination. Optional if you don't want to go through that.

Get the HomeLink from a 1999 or newer truck/van as it will have Rolling Code Technology and will work with most newer garage door openers.

Then programming.
Programming instructions:
1. For first-time programming, press and hold the two outside buttons until the indicator light begins to flash (after 20 seconds). Release both buttons.
Note: Some vehicles may require the ignition switch to be turned to the second (or “accessory” ) position during the programming process.

2. Hold the end of your handheld transmitter between 1 and 3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your visor or overhead console) keeping the indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously push the handheld transmitter button and the desired HomeLink button. DO NOT release the buttons until step 4 has been completed.

4. Hold down both buttons until the indicator light on the HomeLink Universal Transceiver flashes, first slowly then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapidly flashing light indicates successful programming of the new frequency signal.) To activate the garage door or other programmed device, press and hold the HomeLink button - releasing when the device begins to activate.

5. To program the remaining two buttons, follow steps 2 through 4.

Rolling Code Programming
Rolling code garage door openers which are “code-protected” and manufactured after 1996 may be determined by the following:
• Reference the garage door opener owner's manual for verification.
• The handheld transmitter appears to program the HomeLink Universal Transceiver but does not activate the garage door.
• Press and hold the trained HomeLink button. The garage door opener has the rolling code feature if the indicator light flashes rapidly and then turns solid after 2 seconds.

To train a garage door with the rolling code feature, follow these instructions (the aid of a second person may make the training quicker and easier):

1. Locate the training button on the garage door opener motor head unit. Exact location and color of the button may vary by garage door opener brand. If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener owner's manual or please visit our web site, www.homelink.com.

2. Press the training button on the garage door opener motor head unit (which activates the “training light”). Note: Following step 2, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate step 3.

3. Firmly press and release the programmed HomeLink® button. Press and release the HomeLink button a second time to complete the training process. (Some garage door openers may require you to do this procedure a third time
to complete the training.)

The garage door opener should now recognize the HomeLink Universal Transceiver. The remaining two buttons may now be trained if this has not previously been done. Refer to the Programming portion of this text. The HomeLink Universal Transceiver (once programmed) or the original handheld transmitter may be used to activate the garage door.

In the event that there are still difficulties in programming the HomeLink Universal Transceiver, please visit our web site, www.homelink.com.

Last edited:

superchevyguy93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes its from an OHC my wires are orange black and white im guessing your yellow is the same as my white though and thank you for the help much appreciated

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Ah ok, same as mine.... It was white, not yellow.
Orange is 12v (I wired mine to stay on all the time, not just ignition). I think I wired mine to the map light circuit.
White is illumination (you can run this to pretty much any illumination wire on a switch or IIRC brown on the back of the headlight switch). You don't have to wire this in... Honestly, even at night they're so dim you can barely see them.
Black is ground.