Hobie's Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, back to the 96', made some fun progress tonight, finally got the oil pump pickup tube pressed in (don't even ask about that story...) and a 'new' untracked fuel rail was installed. BUT the fella who flow tested my injectors failed to install new o rings, SOO, back to waiting on the intergalactic backorder of parts *facepalm.

But I really wanted to see what the intake would look like sitting on the engine, and I must say... I love it. The right amount of height, and just enough to cover the top end. Looks great to me, and hopefully you guys agree with my choice, and hopefully within a week I can pull it back off, set some injectors in, and button this dude up

Don't mind the mess in the garage either, it's a bit of controlled chaos in here.

You must be registered for see images attach

Until next time the parts truck shows up, y'all have fun

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the 2500 suburbans the 6.0/4L80e got the 9.5" SF while the 8.1/4L85e got the 10.5" FF.

I wonder why they didn't fit the 6.0 also on the 2500 Avalanches? I have heard the 8.1 Avalanche are fun to drive!

What axle ratio do you have BTW?
Between the super comfortable ride, surprisingly stiff springs for towing, and gobs of power that never seems to end, I am having a blast driving it. Minus the part when I have to stop at a gas station! lol

I'm not sure why they didn't offer the 6.0, but on the same hand, I'm glad they didn't, I think it would be an absolute dog for what they are.

My specific Avalanche has 3.73 gears, with the unfortunate G80 locker... But it does well

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The G80 on the either of the 14 bolts versions hold up much better than on the 10 bolts.

I've got 2 2500 suburbans, an 04 4x4 and a 06 2wd, both with the 6.0 and 4.10s gears, and I think they are pretty peppy, at least for a heavy vehicle that they are.

Why don't you build the Avalanche? Based on what described above, seems like the perfect rig. Engine, transmission and drivetrain are excellent starting points... there's nothing to upgrade really...just a thought. A SAS Avalanche Big Block would be sweet!

I'm partial to the GMT800s, LOL.

Sorry, back to the thread.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The G80 on the either of the 14 bolts versions hold up much better than on the 10 bolts.

I've got 2 2500 suburbans, an 04 4x4 and a 06 2wd, both with the 6.0 and 4.10s gears, and I think they are pretty peppy, at least for a heavy vehicle that they are.

Why don't you build the Avalanche? Based on what described above, seems like the perfect rig. Engine, transmission and drivetrain are excellent starting points... there's nothing to upgrade really...just a thought. A SAS Avalanche Big Block would be sweet!

I'm partial to the GMT800s, LOL.

Sorry, back to the thread.
Oh... I'm building the Avalanche just not yet. I'll be putting a leveling kit, rear helper bags, exhaust, intake, and some 18x9 with roughly 33" tires. I do have some other cosmetic things I want to do before I start digging into a 05+ D60, and matching rear, and possibly adding in a whirly boy under the hood, similar setup to what LT is doing to 'UglyTruck' on YouTube. But ALL of that is going to have to wait, as I need to get the 96 finished, get a house bought, and possibly a shop built, and then on top of all of that, I have two tractors that need to be restored (tons of sentimental value, so a personal goal) and a racecar built (again, another personal goal to get back into racing. This time, circuit racing instead of ovals.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210804-003232_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210804-003232_Chrome.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 6

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well a stock 4L80e is still good for like 500 TQ...how much are you making?

The only Allison SUV I've seen is that guy in Florida building those "Duraburbs" ...with a Duramax, lol. I think he does a body lift to get stuff to work.

500? I think you're coming up a little light. The stock 4L80E in my dually has been boosted for a long time. It was rated 450/600 by Whipple. Granted it has lived a lot of its life in CO, but I'm sitting in IA with it right now gonna press to MI tomorrow. It hits harder than it did with the Whippletronics and stock blower pulley I can tell you that much.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
500? I think you're coming up a little light. The stock 4L80E in my dually has been boosted for a long time. It was rated 450/600 by Whipple. Granted it has lived a lot of its life in CO, but I'm sitting in IA with it right now gonna press to MI tomorrow. It hits harder than it did with the Whippletronics and stock blower pulley I can tell you that much.
Yeah, I was talking factory ratings.