Hobie's Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is very rusty, probably beyond repair. The frame is ok but the body is terrible. I want to find a clean truck from a non salt state and swap all of my good parts into it. Then it will never be driven in road salt again. A 3 door extended cab would be great. I would like a 2500. Maybe in a couple years I will be able to afford to look.
That makes since, just keep on looking, you'll find something. 3rd door cabs were never available in anything other than 1/2 tons to the best of my knowledge, just so you know.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is very rusty, probably beyond repair. The frame is ok but the body is terrible. I want to find a clean truck from a non salt state and swap all of my good parts into it. Then it will never be driven in road salt again. A 3 door extended cab would be great. I would like a 2500. Maybe in a couple years I will be able to afford to look.

You probably know this already, but if you want a 3 door k2500 - you will need to make it yourself. The 3rd door was only on '96-98 1500's.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got my new cell phone in, and like I suspected, most of my previous data was lost. But this weekend has been crazy, between changing jobs, and moving everything from my old job, to my new one (including the truck) it's just been absolutely madness. So I think tomorrow will be a well deserved day of relaxation.

And yes, before anyone mentions, this was the last resort on the position of my toolbox, putting it lengthwise, the casters were breaking through the floor, and I did end up adding a few more straps, but it made it there just fine.
You must be registered for see images attach

And then a night of breaking everything at Lucas Oil Speedway,

And of course, the truck had to be moved back home, at least for the time being.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Doing a TPI conversion was one of the things I had wanted to do to my old '96 K2500 Sierra. Too bad she self destructed before I could get around to that.
Definitely gonna watch this build with massive amounts of interest.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doing a TPI conversion was one of the things I had wanted to do to my old '96 K2500 Sierra. Too bad she self destructed before I could get around to that.
Definitely gonna watch this build with massive amounts of interest.
I really appreciate the interest, and it looks like there will be tons of hurdles to complete it correctly. And like I mentioned before, it's going to be a slow thread/build, so please be patient with me, but I do plan on following this through, no matter what problems I find.

Lol, you need to look up his build thread! Its wild in a good way!
I'll have to look, I cant say I remember checking out his threads, but I'll definately look

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, let's get this thread started up again, a lot has happened since the last time I've been on here, between building a new 360ci for the racecar, and finally getting everything back for my own engine.

Ended up finding some catastrophic issues with the vortec heads, so a decision was made to swap to aluminum heads. The rods that I originally purchased were not correct, so a set of eagle I beam rods, and the same flat top pistons, and with a .041 compressed head gasket will put it right under 10:1 compression, which is a little more than I want, but I can deal with it.

Still waiting on the camshaft, and valve train, and a few small things on the intake until I get the engine set in the truck, so in the next few weeks I'll start putting it all together, and I finally found a color that I really like. (Kinda a small detail, but it's the small details to me I guess)

For the rest of the engine, it's a stock 088 block, bored .030, and milled to 9.020", line bored, new cam bearings, block plugs, and freeze plugs, rotating assembly was balanced.

And lastly, hopefully this goes smoothly, because after this week, I dont think I can handle any more bad luck, to put this week in perspective, this was the 'best' thing that happened this week.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude.
What happened to that laptop??

Also it's great to see an update on this rig, I was using it as an example for my buddy who wanted to do something with his 3rd Gen Camaro
TPI 383 on an 0411 is probably about as unique as you can get.