High idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allen97

Reaction score
Ok I need some advise. I have a 97 Sierra 1500 2wd ext cab. I just swapped the 4l60E for an NV3500. It wasn’t doing it at first but now every time I hit the clutch while moving it isles up to about 2 grand in between gears and stays there until I either hit the next gear or come to a complete stop. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I’m not sure if it’s got anything to do with the swap or maybe just the idle control motor may be going out. It does run a lot cooler now without the atfluid going through the radiator so I was thinking that could be the cause. Just to ask for opinions before I start troubleshooting. Thanks in advance for any advice.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Sounds like something that happened in an engine swapped Fiero I had years ago. The engine computer didnt know what was behind it and thought it had to hold a higher idle

Try blipping the thottle quick when that happes and see it anything changes.

Allen97

Reaction score
That’s kinda one of the ideas I had too. It also seems to be loading up sometimes while driving. Stomp the gas and a puff of white smoke then it runs fine.