hidgate question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For their $39.99 kit do you also need a relay harness to prevent damage to your truck??

Last edited:

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
..double post

Last edited:

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a kit on tuesday, 5000k, 9006 for the lows. But now I was reading even though they require less power the start draws a ton so it could fry the factory wiring. so our trucks ok with these hid kits?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a kit on tuesday, 5000k, 9006 for the lows. But now I was reading even though they require less power the start draws a ton so it could fry the factory wiring. so our trucks ok with these hid kits?

It's not going to fry your wiring, but you could run into an issue with one of them not always coming on when you flip the switch due to a low power issue to the ballasts. From my experience, with yours being a '96, I would recommend picking up a relay harness.

I've installed HIDs on a '91 and a '94 with no issues to speak of. I've installed them on a '97 and a '98 and both needed the relay harness. The tell-tale sign is one of the lights not coming on when you flip the switch. You can turn them off and then back on again quickly and that usually gets the other light fired, but it's an annoyance. The '97 and '98 both got a relay harness and solved this issue.

You can pick up a relay harness from DDM Tuning or VVME for pretty cheap. The total shipped price was cheaper from VVME, so that's where I bought from.