HID? Help me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
^This is true........you need lighting that will shine really low to the ground so you can see the road clearly. Driving lights are different, they're usually good for rainy weather.....or for seeing dangerous turns ahead. The lights used in rallye racing are a good example.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MeanGreen, How many driving lights have you had knocked out by rocks?

Supprisingly enough I haven't had a single stone chip or anything on them yet, and I have had them mounted in that configuration for about 6-7 months now! Granted that they are pretty tough lights, and have a very tough lens on them!

HIDs are a great addition. I also wanted to add, since hid bulbs are longer, your beam pattern will be SLIGHTLY different. With a longer bulb I know the pattern on the full size off road lights like KC brand lights, is a tad bit wider, but it is still a beam and they light up the night for a LONG distance.

Yes, Kyle has an excellent point here. You see all halogen fog, driving, pencil, euro beam light etc where designed for use with a halogen bulb. The point where light emits from a halogen bulb is a different location then where the light is emitted from the arc of the HID bulb. Therefore the beam pattern WILL be different when a HID is installed in a Halogen based light. If you are wanting more down road vision, I would suggest buying a good set of driving/pencil beam or a Euro beam driving light. This will have a very long beam that is designed to increase your down road vision, and not the foreground. I have 5K 35W HID's installed in my Driving/Pencil beam lights and they project light an easy mile down road at night, again I only run these when I'm on high beam so glare etc is not an issue for oncoming drivers!

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Just for this thread (and a little for me :cool: ) I just reinstalled my off road hid lights. Let me get the grill and all back on and I'll take some pics.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok. Whoa. this thread exploded when I turned my back. lol Thankyou for all the replies

I understand the beam chamging, and I realise that super bright FOGs defeat the purpuse, But im not really running them as a true "fog' light', I basically just want some BRIGHT **** in front of me because I like to see critters before they become permenatly altered by my bumper:)

My plan was (I read kyles thread 2 weeks ago. lol) to HID a pair of princess auto cheapies like Kyle did, But some cheap FOGS landed in my lap from a friend so they wound up on my bumper. I figured I would try HID in them first, and if i didnt like it run the exact same kit/bulbs in a 6 inch pencil beam housing. My Ideal would have been to run 4 hella 500's with driving beams and HID them , but they came off the subaru, and went to the co driver and not me:( HAHAHAHA. There is three extra pairs of 9inch rallye 4000's sitting in my buds shop too....but thats a little HUGE for my likings

Thankyou for all the help, however I feel like maybe I asked the wrong questions making me seem more aloof than I really was:)

one last question, who has experience with both 55W and 35W kits? Is it worth the extra 15$ and power to run them for the 55W?