Help with starting problem!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So yesterday and today, when I got out of school, I went to start my truck, it took about three seconds of cranking to start, then once it started, it idled really rough for about five seconds. Today, after it started, I went to the store a half mile away from my school, bought a drink, and came back out to start it, all it did was crank, luckily my friend went to the store also, so after about 15 minutes of cranking for 20 seconds and then waiting, we FINALLY got it started, but when I tapped the gas, it seemed to sortof studder, then rev up weird, then come back down... So my question is, does this sound like a fuel pump going bad?? Both mornings before school, it started up like a champ, but for some reason, the four hours I'm in school, it doesn't like... I managed to get the truck home about 7 miles from school, when I pulled in, I shut it off, waited 10 seconds, and tried to start it again, all it did was crank... my truck is a '97 w/350 vortec... Thanks for any help

94 Z-71

Reaction score
when was the last time you did a tune up on it plugs wires cap rotor air filter pcv?

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when was the last time you did a tune up on it plugs wires cap rotor air filter pcv?
Its been like 15k

Sounds like a pump going bad to me...or perhaps maybe some really bad gas?
I just got gas last night, thats what my dads thinking it is, I just got done running dry gas through it, I let it run for 18 min, then I brought it up the road 3 miles, got back, and starting was slightly better... but still had to crank+feather for 10 seconds, but dry gas said it's good for 10 gallons, and i got a full tank last night, so I may run another one through and see if it improves... I'm thinking I may change the fuel filter also, just for preventive measures

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found my problem!!! Ended up being a bad Coolant Temp Sensor, telling the truck it was -40*, making the truck run rich and not go into OD... Happy it's fixed!!!

tj stone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Happy to hear you solved it. How did you figure out it was the coolant temp sensor?

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Happy to hear you solved it. How did you figure out it was the coolant temp sensor?
Buddy and I went through the entire fuel system, and it was all good, so his dad suggested checking sensors/relays... Pretty much just process of elimination