Help with an alternator issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meangreen318

Reaction score
I have a 96 K1500 5.7 engine. It had been dying while driving, jump it off and it would run a little while longer then die again. So I had the alternator tested and it tested bad, so I replaced it. Still would not start without jumping it off. So I replaced the battery. Starts and runs fine but I had a suspicion the problem was not fixed since the volt gauge still has no reading. I removed the positive battery cable while it was running and it died. It should have kept running off of the alternator right? I don't know what to do next. Any help is appreciated.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
yes it should have stayed running. It wouldn't hurt to have the alt checked. You never know it could be defective, unless you are having some kind of wiring issue.

meangreen318

Reaction score
I've also heard if the volt gauge isn't working, it could be the batt warning bulb is burned and causing a circuit interruption. Anyone ever heard of that?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Yes, bulb must be good for it to charge. This is true for any vehicle with a no charge light.