Help my 4L60e won't shift out of second gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 93 GMC truck 4L60e stays in second gear now it will go into reverse but it won't go into any other gear where do I start no check engine light on?

From a dead start it's taking off in second gear also here is some history on it for years my reverse has had a slight slip and it gets worst on hot Texas days also while gunning it while stuck in second it doesn't slip I also tried it manually and nothing fluid in nice and red and to correct leval. I hope it's something small.
Thanks! Roland :help:

Reaction score
Sounds like it maybe in limp mode. Try disconnecting battery for 5 minutes or so.
See if you get gears back . If so watch out don,t drive over 50 may drop out again.
Is the speedo and or tach working good? Check fuses .
Maybe vss can check voltage on it . Jack rear of truck up use jack stands chock good to be safe.
Get a meter set to ac turn the wheels voltage should increase as wheels are turned faster.
Can take out and see if any metal particles are present if so will be bad.
Could be quite a few things tps , bad ground, bad spot in harness, scan this thing man even if light is not on.
Especially if abs light is on .

Loosebearing ....color me gone.
Oh will check this nice establishment out later alligator.
Love to help others out this will be another great site i,am sure.:)

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Well I drove it a while ago and it was stuck in drive so I see my doctor and I came out and it started shifting fine but today my buddy is going to put his Snap-On scanner on it and see if anything comes up.

Im thinking of taking it to this Trans shop and seeing if he thinks the shift solenoid's should be changed out in fact I called before I drove it today and he said it sounds like one of them is bad he said the cost will be at the most $150.00 dollars which I think is worth it because im taking a 6 hour trip towards the end of the month.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK guys my buddy put his Snap-On scanner on my truck and it read B solenoid so were going to replace it and put on a bigger trans pan that I have. Im so glad that's all it was.

Keep in mind that a snanner can be used on our trucks it has saved me before as well.

Last edited:

chipper

Reaction score
Did this solenoid replacement work for you?? Where is the solenoid located??

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
Did this solenoid replacement work for you?? Where is the solenoid located??

i believe its in the valve body. you have a 1-2, 2-3, and what they call the TCC which locks the TQ up which makes it go into overdrive. i think thats all of them