help finding size of rear drum breaks/ wheel seals for my 1997 4dr 4wd 5.7L Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joe toto

Reaction score
1997 Tahoe LT 4wd 4dr 5.7 vortec:

wheel seals are leaking fluid into rear drums and I want to do the whole job: new drums, shoes, seals the whole deal (should I also do the bearings while I'm in there?). I am trying to source parts for the job on rockauto, but see there are many options/ sizes to go with for both the size of the wheel seals and drums. If anyone has done the job with a truck with the same specs as mine, your input would be greatly appreciated!

If anything I say sounds dumb or wrong... it is partially because I am in high school and don't really know what I am talking about.:help::headbang:
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a K1500, K2500, or K3500 Tahoe?

LOOK at the rear drums. The diameter will be cast or stamped into them.

I don't know about Tahoes, but if this was a K1500 pickup, you'd have the horse-shiit leading/trailing shoe brakes (254mm? "10-inch" drum) which are pretty horrible. The shoes/linings are identical for the primary and secondary shoe, and the adjuster is ABOVE the axle shaft.

Wheel seals can leak. Sometimes, they're murdered by defective bearings. Sometimes, the defective bearings score and ruin the axle shafts. You won't know until you pull 'em apart.

For the record, if you've got the light-duty "1500" 8.5" rear axle using the crappy leading/trailing shoe brakes, do yourself and your truck a favor--find a light-duty (6-lug) K2500 9.5" semi-float axle that has Duo-Servo rear brakes and the right gear ratio and width. ESPECIALLY if you have to buy axle shafts for the 8.5" axle--put that money to better use with a stronger axle and better brakes.