Help diagnosing engine noise/ overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Case182

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here. I inherited my grandfathers '97 sierra 1500 with the 5.7 vortec (119,*** miles now) back in November. It's now deciding to act up.

Story time
Last time it rained it thought id have a bit of fun and did a donut in a wet empty lot. Light throttle, never went above 4k, and on tires that needed to be replaced. Ended up doing only 1 1/2 rotations. As I left the lot the check gauges light came on and the temp needle was maxed.

Pretty sure it's got a coolant leak somewhere, can't seem to find it. Every other time I drive I need to add an entire jug of coolant to the radiator to keep it from overheating. It's also bubbling in the coolant tank, dripping water from the exhaust also getting a nice white smoke from the exhaust as well... I'm also getting that rushing fluid noise that I can here from inside when I give it throttle.

Earlier tonight after I added more coolant I noticed a new noise. It's almost like a wobbling or boiling? Hopefully not a knock. Sounds like it's coming more from the front? Maybe the radiator?

You can here it better around the 11 second mark. Tried the best I could to get the sound.

http://youtu.be/bxPHj85kCCQ

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
does not sound good,,those early models where prone to head gasket and intake gasket failure,,im sure you have a issue there based on the information provided,,,the noise im not sure of,,dont drive it till you get it repaired,,,

Case182

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking it'd be one of those things. Probably a few more things as well. I'll hopefully be able to bring it to the dealer this week and see what they say after looking at it. Hopefully it's nothing too expensive.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Based on the behavior you have described, I would say you need a head gasket.

Bubbling in the reservoir, overheating, white smoke and coolant loss that is not evident on the ground is a dead give away. Classic signs of head gasket failure.

If it is a head gasket, get it changed out before the combustion gases erode a path from the combustion chamber to the coolant passage or you're going to end up decking the sealing surface on the block as well.

That requires pretty much a complete teardown....

Case182

Reaction score
So everything's pointing to the headgasket. Obviously not what I want to hear. Any idea what I should be expecting to hand over to the GMC dealer?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So everything's pointing to the headgasket. Obviously not what I want to hear. Any idea what I should be expecting to hand over to the GMC dealer?

Nope.

Changes from region to region and shop to shop.

400-800 bucks would be my guess. Labor is around 60-80 bucks an hour most places.

I can't remember what the flat rate manual was for an average V8, but you can count on 5-8 hrs labor I would think. Plus parts. Just gaskets really, unless something else if found mucked up when it's torn down. Then the labor and parts prices start going up again.

On average, a GM dealer is going to cost more (easily 15-25%) than a private shop.

If you have reasonable mechanical skills, reference material and the tools you can do it yourself.

Tools would be a minimum of a socket set and a torque wrench. Problem is the exhaust manifolds if they are rusty. You need a smoke wrench (torch) for those.

Reference material? You can do it with something like a Haynes/Mitchel manual, but I prefer a factory service manual.

Parts stores will sell a "head gasket kit" which includes all the gaskets you need to tear it down and build it back up. I would WAG 80-120 bucks for the kit.

1st timer will take a couple days to a week.

My price estimates may be a little low in some places. I've been out of the regular business for a while now. I just work on friends and families vehicles.

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Have those heads checked out if its been hot at all. Those vortec heads are bad about cracking if they are overheated. Any machine shop will do this for cheap.

Case182

Reaction score
Had the truck towed in Monday and brought her home today. Turns out it was the headgasket. It had been leaking coolant into the oil. Got everything cleaned up and changed the gasket and it runs (almost) like new. No overheating or strange noise anymore.

The bill came out to just over $600. So not bad.

I brought it to GM Repair in Roseville California. Super cool dudes. Lots of Silverados and sierras there being worked on.

Last edited:

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same problem years back. Overheating, smelled coolant, couldn't find leak. Finally found pin hole in intake manifold gasket in the back by distributer. By the time it started to bead up and drip, the heat of engine burned it off. Find, borrow, buy a pressure tester and see if you can find the leak