HELP changed injector clip and now truck won’t turn over.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlytle

Reaction score
Truck:
91 k1500
5.7 350 tbi

Last night I changed an injector clip on my tbi because it would not stay tight. When I went to crank her, she tried to start then started sputtering with half a$$ power. I thought ok maybe it is because the fuel system was trying to build pressure so I gave her a second and tried again. This time no sputtering, just trying to turn over like it is a dead battery. I thought that I had killed my battery so I put a charger on it, let her sit and same thing. When I went back to the engine it had a real strong smell of gas. Again I let her sit then tried repeatedly to crank. She started to turn over once but it was the same as the very first time. Felt very week and just kind of "chugged" then died. I did not change or mess with anything except for the plug tails. I am at a loss of where to start at. grounds? plugs? In my opinion she sounds like she isn’t getting the spark needed to turn over but I don’t see why that would happen when everything was fine before.
Thanks in advance

dlytle

Reaction score
I tried taking the clips off and putting them back on. Checked the air filter assembly, wiggled all the wires. Could I of shorted something out? I did unhook the negative from the battery before starting any work. Do you think I might be flooding it with fuel?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
You only replaced the clips? My bad lol. Just double-check the connections, sounds like somethings not contacting correctly. The wires just tell the injectors when to open and close, by changing the connectors, you didnt adjust the fuel at all, so it has to be the wiring. And as long as you disconnected the battery, i doubt you shorted anything.

dlytle

Reaction score
I just read something on a ford forum about after depressurizing the fuel system it makes it really hard to start. They were talking about trying to start for 30 seconds stop and repeat to pressurize the fuel system. I have a feeling I am missing something easy.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need to do that on these trucks. Sounds like a good way of burning up the starter too!

Get a buddy and have him turn the motor over as you watch the injectors to see if they are spraying

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Double check your wiring.

Wired correctly, polarity, security, etc...

dlytle

Reaction score
The kid at the auto parts store said to solder the wires but I shake to bad for any soldering. So I used gold platted, insulated butt splices wrapped with super33. I made all on crimps on the copper. Could there be too much resistance because of the butt splices? I am going to have the wife try and start the truck tonight while I watch the injectors. If they are still good I’m going to look in to the ignition control module. From my reading that might have something to do with the problem.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
You can test them with a test light like any other power/ground. Thats how they work. Constant 12v, then the ECM grounds it to open the injectors in sequence.