HELP 98305chevy fuel injection issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nice98chevy

Reaction score
Update: Today I've been trying to start it, occasionally, and finally it warmed up enough outside to get it started. At first it stumbled and then after it got enough fuel/pressure it fired up. There was a little bit of stumbling, at first, but then it started running fine. No issues.

I'm inclined to believe it's the fuel pump. There's not enough fuel pressure when it's cold outside to open the injectors and get it to fire up. I've read that it takes 60 pounds minimum to open the injectors. I was measuring 58 pounds when it wouldn't start which is marginal and the shop also reached the same conclusion.

There is no tune up issues or anything else for that matter. Whether or not the gauge I used was accurate is another story.

Thoughts?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have original poppet spider or upgraded electric spider?

Nice98chevy

Reaction score
It's all original and it runs fine.

I've had it idling outside for the last 25 minutes and no problems.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The higher the fuel pressure the harder it is to open the injector unless the Vortec is different.
Typical electric-solenoid injectors...yes.

Vortec "poppet" injectors...no. It's the fuel pressure that blows the spring-loaded poppet off it's seat. Not enough pressure, it doesn't overcome the spring, and that cylinder doesn't get a spray of fuel. OTOH, given more potential pressure, the pressure just pops the injector at whatever the spring tension is, and then the pressure drops.