Hello from BC’s West Coast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatR

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I was looking for a truck after moving on from a 2003 Avalanche, and we came across this 1990 Chev K1500 5.7L/Auto Silverado Regular cab Stepside. It was lowered by the previous owner using Belltech products, and hadn’t been moved in a year and a half. The previous owner imported it from Portland, and brings a no-rust quality that he and I appreciate. The previous owner had replaced the stock bench seat with a red dual bucket seat/console cloth interior, 454SS style.

While amazingly clean underneath, the paint has blistering common to older trucks of this vintage. The plan is to keep it stock, in order to qualify for collector’s plates and lower insurance rates in this province. That will require a paint job, for sure.

It came to us with some weathered vintage American Racing aluminum rims. But due to some research on old sales brochures located on this site, I was able to run down some vintage “4x4” original rims in amazing condition. So I’ve switched over to the stock rims. Right now it sits on 245/75/16’s, but will prob move up to 265’s when it has to get raised for the collector plate application. It will be required to be no less than 1” below stock height overall. But for now will keep it lowered.

Since getting it, it’s had fluids changed, belts & hoses replaced, alignment, an entire rear slider window replacement, and an audio/alarm/immobilizer install (don’t want to loose it after all). It’s amazing that you can get modern Bluetooth tech (integrated phone, messaging, Siri versatility) in a deck that looks like one from the 90’s.

Thanks to what I’ve learned from here, it’s gone from a McGiver’ed single exhaust to a Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust system, had a driver’s door pin & bushing replacement, and an Anzo headlamp & parking lamp cover renewal. So, Many Thanks to the contributors here and their knowledge that I have benefited from.

Here’s how it was when I first saw it. Not bad for a 200K+ mile truck (300K+ kilometres translated for my Canadian brothers):

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is ‘Bruiser’ on it’s way home from purchase:

Here it is with the original style rims:

During and after eye surgery:

Last edited:

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season coming.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice and sharp looking. Guessing you are not one of those Green Party nutters like May. Vancouver, gas insanely high out there, like real estate?

RCSB_jonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a great looking truck!

Curious about the collectors plates. Are there any driving limitations when you have them? Sounds like there's some sort of inspection to pass - how well do they actually know each vehicle I wonder?

PatR

Reaction score
That's a great looking truck!

Curious about the collectors plates. Are there any driving limitations when you have them? Sounds like there's some sort of inspection to pass - how well do they actually know each vehicle I wonder?

Limitations are you can’t drive to and from work, or use the vehicle commercially. You also have to have a regularly insured vehicle on the road as well. There is a program also for “Modified Collector plates”, for vehicles that are pre-‘74.

https://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/collector-mods/Pages/Collector-vehicles.aspx

You have to submit an application, 3 pages + a bunch of photos in the style and size they require, and follow the guide on page 4 of the application in regards to accessories and modifications here:

https://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/collector-mods/Documents/collector-status.pdf#page=4

The savings (from regular to collectors plates) for this truck is about $1200/year. Which, over 3 years, could pay for the new paint job.