Helicoil starter bolt hole

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody302

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys got an 88 1500 with a 4.3 that needs a starter
Problem is, the threads in the block where the bolt goes, is stripped. I've tried using a thread repair system with threaded inserts but it looks like the hole is sideways? Ive looked on the V8 and it goes straight up but mine is on an angle and I'm not sure how the hell to pull this one off.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

Cody302

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The starter bolt mounting hole seems to be at an angle
You must be registered for see images attach

My inserts always end up coming out like this when I put the bolt in
You must be registered for see images attach

I am using a 3/8" 16 X 1.50 insert for a 3/8" 16 x 4-5/8 bolt

Maybe i just didnt drill out the hole far enough?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have a real issue here, but I'm sure you already know that. I think I would get a nut that fits the bolt for the starter. Then take a very fine sharpie, and trace it over the hole that is crocked on the block is, so that it is hex shape and the nut will fit in this new hole, and will be aligned with where the starter needs to be. Once this is done, I would preheat the block where I could tack weld the nut into place, using a bolt to help keep everything in line and protect the threads in the nut. A small dermal tool may be your best bet to cut the hole into an octagon shape. I have done this on steel many times, and it works good. I have also welded cast iron with 7018 LH welding rods many times. As long as you pre heat the cast iron, LH will work good. I know there are special rods to weld cast with, but they weld like crap. If you pre heat to a pail red, this should be hot enough. If welding in you engine is more than you want to do, then you can also, get a very large flat washer that the nut will fit into and weld the nut to that, and insert it from the back side so that the nut will fit the octagon hole, and the flat washer will not let the nut pull through. You may have to grind down the edges of the flat washer so it will fit into place.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any chance you could drill the hole out, get a longer bolt that goes right through and put a nut on the top? I know it's not ideal, but it might get the job done.

Cody302

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my other idea. I had heard about Alumaloy/Castaloy to fill the hole then drill and re-tap it but I have no experience with it