Heater core coolant strainer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, you're just not understanding how it works.

Its a bypass filter, not a heater core bypass.

It doesn't bypass the heater core, it bypasses a portion of the coolant via a restrictor until all the coolant has passed through it. It just keeps cycling the coolant through it as you drive. The coolant is endlessly filtered, which removes everything in the coolant. From larger pieces of gasket and silicone to fine grains of casting sand and scale.

Nothing ever gets a chance to accumulate and a anything in the coolant system is captured before it can drop out and create more crud.

I'm not understanding it because that doesn't make much sense.

Where is the restrictor? Where, exactly, would the lines T off from? Do you have a diagram? Do you have pictures? What is preventing crud, that's not going through the filter, from entering my heater core? Also, your routing does not apply to my truck, as I do not have a pressurized coolant bottle. Thus, it would have to be in series, or in parallel, with my heater core or the water pump bypass.

Getting on 5 years, no issues.

Congrats, I guess. I've personally witnessed a 2006 Malibu with 7kmi roll through the chevy dealer I worked at with a sludged up coolant bottle and wrote up that it should be checked at the shop. I was reprimanded by the service manager and was given a new service order ticket from the service adviser to write my comments excluding the recommended service. Keep rolling that dice with your dex cool. There is nothing in this world that will put my faith in a product that I have seen fail in such a short period of time. There is no reason why, at 30kmi, I should've been brushing the equivalent of dog out of someone's coolant jug.

If you've already got big blobs of crud and corruption in the coolant system, you're pretty much hooped to have to do a complete empty, rodding and cleaning......

Oxalic acid will be taking care of that in the spring.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
....I've personally witnessed a 2006 Malibu with 7kmi roll through the chevy dealer I worked at with a sludged up coolant bottle and wrote up that it should be checked at the shop. I was reprimanded by the service manager and was given a new service order ticket from the service adviser to write my comments excluding the recommended service. Keep rolling that dice with your dex cool. There is nothing in this world that will put my faith in a product that I have seen fail in such a short period of time. There is no reason why, at 30kmi, I should've been brushing the equivalent of dog out of someone's coolant jug.

I too use to hate Dex-cool for the bad information I was reading about regarding the 3100, 3400 V-6 GM lower intake gasket failures. And the worn water pump fins, sludge problems that those cars were famous for. Turns out it is NOT the coolant that was the problem but some leak stop tablets that were dropped into the coolant bottle during the factory fill of the coolant system to prevent coolant leaks. It is those tablets that created the sludge you see in the bottle and in the engine and also wore out the water pumps. The LIM gasket failure it a result of using plastic where it should not be used in my opinion. Plastic gets brittle with heat and age.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I too use to hate Dex-cool for the bad information I was reading about regarding the 3100, 3400 V-6 GM lower intake gasket failures. And the worn water pump fins, sludge problems that those cars were famous for. Turns out it is NOT the coolant that was the problem but some leak stop tablets that were dropped into the coolant bottle during the factory fill of the coolant system to prevent coolant leaks. It is those tablets that created the sludge you see in the bottle and in the engine and also wore out the water pumps. The LIM gasket failure it a result of using plastic where it should not be used in my opinion. Plastic gets brittle with heat and age.

And from what I've read, that was only certain cars and body styles... such as the Lumina, bonneville, etc. Pickups and SUV's did not have stop-leak contamination.

But whatever, I'm still not going to use it. I have no interest in it, and my system has already been refilled with green. It is simply not worth keeping in the system. I didn't buy a Porsche, I bought a Chevrolet.