Heater core coolant strainer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured some of you guys may find this to be a decent solution to keeping your heater core free of debris if you've had dex cool in the past or just have scale buildup in your motor.

Months ago I replaced my intake manifold gaskets. A month or so after that I satisfied that I had drained/refilled/flushed out my cooling system (about 20 times, 2x with prestone coolant system flush) and was ready to swap out the water pump without having to worry about scale ruining it soon after. Well, a couple of weeks ago I got a little rain in my interior and wanted to help dry it out using the heater and A/C. My issue was, my heater wouldn't put out any heat. I removed the cover and found it to be hanging loosely against the ventilation box and fixed that. Still, no heat output. I felt the return line of the heater with the engine at NOT and it was pretty cool to the touch (Heat was turned off.)

So, after looking into coolant filtration and not finding a remote filter kit that had 3/4" FPT ports I purchased an industrial strainer from Grainger along with stainless fittings for either end.

After flushing out this:
You must be registered for see images attach

I installed this:

Now, my heat is so hot it feels like my hand will blister if I don't take it away from the vent. Pretty simple installation. You just need to remove about 3" of hose to prevent binding, then zip-tie it to the hose clips on the fender (if applicable), and that should keep you set until your heat stops working. All you have to do then is clamp the hoses, pull the screen, wash it out, and reinstall it.

This should help prevent you from junking that perfectly good heater core just because it's clogged and filthy inside.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I replaced the heater hoses on mine a couple of weeks ago and flushed a lot of garbage out of mine. The core does collect a lot of crap, but servicing your coolant system regularly prevents it from being a problem. I'm sure mine had been ignored long before I got the truck. Some people don't feel the need to do anything with the coolant.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I had F350 with a 6.0 Powerstroke, but a coolant filter on it and was dumbfounded by how much crap came out in just 500 miles

Gilbert597

Reaction score
Just joined and new to this forum and cant figure out how to post a new thread but this seems to be the closest to what i am having issues with. 1997 K2500 7.4 burb, for about a year now i have been having issues with the front heat working (blowing cold air) rear works great. Replaced heater control valve, front heater core, flushed radiator, checked blend doors and still isn't blowing hot! it will blow luke warm when on the highway but as soon as i get to a light its back to cold. (only in the front) any help or advise would be extremely helpful as im in Kansas and winter is approaching.
Thanks,
Mitch

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had F350 with a 6.0 Powerstroke, but a coolant filter on it and was dumbfounded by how much crap came out in just 500 miles

I've heard stories of casting sand and other bits being left in the blocks of 7.3's and 6.0's. I would've put on a filter as well if I ever purchased one. I would REALLY like to put a cartridge filter on both of my trucks, but there are none (that I've found) that could flow enough.

Just joined and new to this forum and cant figure out how to post a new thread but this seems to be the closest to what i am having issues with. 1997 K2500 7.4 burb, for about a year now i have been having issues with the front heat working (blowing cold air) rear works great. Replaced heater control valve, front heater core, flushed radiator, checked blend doors and still isn't blowing hot! it will blow luke warm when on the highway but as soon as i get to a light its back to cold. (only in the front) any help or advise would be extremely helpful as im in Kansas and winter is approaching.
Thanks,
Mitch

There are two things I would suggest. First, does the quick connect for the heater inlet hose have scale or anything stuck in it? From what I've read there is a 5/16" (or so) restrictor in there from the factory that can get clogged with scale. I'm not sure how a front&rear heater system is set up and flows, but I would venture to guess there is restriction in there.

If not, then you should pull the cover for the front heater core and check to see that it is fitting up against the foam weatherstripping in the heater box. Mine was sagging down when I started checking into my loss of heat (It improved my heat, slightly).

If that doesn't cut it, try to verify flow through the heater core using a garden hose and flush kit (or adapters from Lowes/HD, they've got them) and start isolating the blockage.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks,
Mitch

Did you ever get a chance to mess with this?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After 500mi of driving with this strainer installed, this is what I got when the heater stopped... "heating."

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow interesting and great idea.I have one on the way to STL so I could pick it up and save shipping, I just did a new water pump as the old one I did died after 50K miles, did a good flush last time so just filled the rad with water to wash out and refilled with new green coolant/distilled water. Mixture is only good to +5F so I need to suck some out and add straight antifreeze.

EDIT this it? http://www.grainger.com/product/Y-Strainer-6NPX0?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6NPW6_AS01?$smthumb$

My heater lines already have one of those tee fittings for a garden hose to flush it, I used it when I did the water pump last time, so I just need some barbed fittings and clamps. I have all kids of room on there too to clean the strainer. I am so doing this, I am tired of doing water pumps and I think my heat is cooler than last year.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks,
Mitch

Have you checked to see that the hoses themselves aren't plugged? Squeeze the hoses under the hood. If they sound like they are filled with 'Cornflakes', replace 'em.
Pour in a can of 'Rad-flush' as per the instructions, then when you run the water through the heating system to flush it, combine that with an air line beside the water flow, from a compressor, with just a slow flow of air. The air will percolate in the system with the water & helps to break down any crud & scale build-up within.

After 500mi of driving with this strainer installed, this is what I got when the heater stopped... "heating."

Holy crap! Those are some serious chunks in there. I could see that tearing up the seals & vanes in the water pump over time.