Headlight switch wire: melted orange wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2000 k3500, and while doing some wiring troubleshooting I found a melted orange wire going to the headlight switch.

I used the test light and the wire is hot with all the switches off, which I don't think is right.
But mainly, the fact that the wire is so melted worries me greatly. The damage is pretty bad near the switch, but going further back where the wire sheath is intact, the wires seem like they're somewhat melted together.
The headlights work, but both sets of dome lights do not work.
Any idea what the orange wire is for?

You must be registered for see images attach

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bump,
Anyone know what this orange wire is for? Should it have current at all times? My searches for wiring diagrams for the headlight switch are coming up empty :(

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
See if you can trace it to your cargo light switch. If it goes there then I believe it is supposed to have current at all times

sent from my glade air freshner

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured it out last night when I pulled the dash.

The wire goes to the fuse box for the parking lamps and was burned the entire length of the wire.
Someone had a 30a fuse in the 20a spot :(