Headlight/Daytime running light problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtlichty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a strange problem with my lights. As many of you know with some of the newer models of the OBS trucks (I think 95+, not really sure) there are daytime running lights that are always on until you turn on your headlights. With the daytime running lights on the dash shows a green light indicator for the daytime running lights that looks much like the blue light indicating that your brights are on. So my problem is this when I actually turn my lights on the indicator for the daytime running lights will come on periodically and then go back off. When it is on it wont let me use my brights at all. The taillights stay on but the headlights revert to daytime running lights mode only. I've noticed that even when I do turn my brights on, the daytimes will still come on sometimes and then the brights automatically go off and I can't turn them back on. Does anyone know whats going on here or how to correct it? Thanks!

Virginiabound

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your headlight switch is faulty and turning your headlights off, so your DRL's kick back on.

Be thankful you're DRL's still work, when it did it to me I was stuck on the side of the interstate without any headlights at all!

Replace the headlight switch and you should be good to go.

jtlichty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your headlight switch is faulty and turning your headlights off, so your DRL's kick back on.

Be thankful you're DRL's still work, when it did it to me I was stuck on the side of the interstate without any headlights at all!

Replace the headlight switch and you should be good to go.

I thought that too...but how would my tail lights still be on if that is the case?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Headlight switch has multiple contacts in it. The one for the headlights is going bad....

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok my problem is my green light on my dash is on before I switch my lights on.. But my day time lights aren't ever on.. Does this mean my switch is bad also? Or a fuse?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possible fuse (number 15 if I remember right...) Or it's the resistor that's up under the dash right by your right knee.

That green light should shut off when you physically turn the headlight knob on.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Possible fuse (number 15 if I remember right...) Or it's the resistor that's up under the dash right by your right knee.

That green light should shut off when you physically turn the headlight knob on.

Thanks man.. Ill try that in the morning.. does your truck have a lift kit? if so how much? or what kit? your truck is how I want mine to look..and what all goes into adding those wicked fender flares? id like to add some to my truck

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has 1.5" blocks and crank to level. Also the flares are screwed under the fender lips and double sided tape across the top lip.