Having an issue with my brakes all of a sudden, help would be nice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need some help guys: Have a 95 Burb and yesterday when I was leaving out for work I noticed the brakes were soft all of a sudden. They don't go straight to the floor, but that firm wall you feel when hitting the brake initially is gone, doesn't build firm pressure until maybe the last 2-3 inches, stops but that's been drastically affected. Turns out, I lost my brake lights at the same time apparently, turn signals work (my hazards haven't since I got this) but brake lights do NOTHING when I hit em, which is a big issue obviously for driving. Truck was just fine when I was driving it maybe 3 hours prior. Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the brake lights, check your brake light switch in the peddle.. as for the brakes look for visible leaks or defects... pull your wheels and check the drums, shoes, calipers, lines, hoses and abs module

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update to my no brake light issue, checking the under good fuze box I noticed I don't have a brake lamp relay NOR Stop/Hazard fuse (guess that's why no hazards), but they also don't even have the contacts to plug into in the fuse box..... I'm lost now.

Attachments

• IMG_20221101_130232.jpg
    IMG_20221101_130232.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 5

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the brake lights, check your brake light switch in the peddle.. as for the brakes look for visible leaks or defects... pull your wheels and check the drums, shoes, calipers, lines, hoses and abs module
I don't think its the switch now, turns out I don't have a brake lamp relay or stop/haz fuse installed in the fuse box, but there aren't even contact pins for them in the box ...

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Is that wet or damp? That would indicate a leaking master, that would cause low pedal and no brakes

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need some help guys: Have a 95 Burb and yesterday when I was leaving out for work I noticed the brakes were soft all of a sudden.

Have you looked in the master cylinder fluid reservoir? If so, what did you see?

Check your hardlines, in addition to what others have recommended. I had a leak develop in my rear hardline, toward the back, near the rear axle, where the crossmember joins the frame, but leaks might appear anywhere.

Update to my no brake light issue, checking the under good fuze box I noticed I don't have a brake lamp relay NOR Stop/Hazard fuse (guess that's why no hazards), but they also don't even have the contacts to plug into in the fuse box..... I'm lost now.

The Suburbans/utilities don't have the stop lamp relay. Wiring diagram from 1998 attached as evidence.

Attachments

• GMT400 - taillights and hazard wiring diagram.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about your brake pads? Ive had a sudden loss of brakes when a pad fell out before :hahano: That was a fun day lol

Did you pull the drums off? You might not see brake fluid leaking from a rear wheel Cylinder.