Has anyone dyed their seat belts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagg2319

Reaction score
I haven't put them in yet but I am gonna build some riser mounts when I can get some time off from the wife and kids I also picked up a console out of a 04 Tahoe I'm gonna make work ill post some pics when I start on it

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Probably have to soak 'em pretty good to get right into & between all the individual strands that belts are made out of.
That little label would either have to be removed & re-sewn on after, or taped off. That has to be visible in order to conform to DOT rules.
If you're ever in an accident, (hope not) & an insurance guy sees that the belts have been modified, (dyeing would be considered a mod) then you may be S.O.L. as far as injury claims go. Insurance adjusters don't need much of a reason to say 'NO'.
Seat belts are easy to make, (for me, anyhow!) but I absolutely won't. No way! That would put me on the hook for any injuries incurred, if they failed. Big 'IF', but I'm not going to chance that.
Aftermarket belts for any kind of race car are not worth what they charge for 'em, as far as materials or labor involved to produce them. The cost is due to that label. That shows that the manufacturer has met a standard set out by D.O.T., & MUST be purchased from D.O.T.
In order for a manufacturer to buy that label, they have to prove compliance to D.O.T.'s rules, & carry the liability insurance that goes along with that. That's where the big bucks are required. That liability insurance expense is stupid huge!

Last edited: