Has anyone completed a 6.5 to Cummins Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Has anyone completed a 6.5 to Cummins Swap? If you have i'm currently doing a electrical to mechanical 6.5 swap and i have some questions one of these guys would know.

Please reply, thanks :)

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a 454 to Cummins swap in my 1996 Suburban, does that count? Maybe I can help with some things...

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Well i just wanna know if your gauges still worked? I'm switching from electrical to mechanical injected 6.5. I think they should all still work right?

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
And i wanted to know how to wire in the glow plugs lol.. But i think i've got it figured out and the gauges i'm told should work per the guys at dieselplace

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i just wanna know if your gauges still worked? I'm switching from electrical to mechanical injected 6.5. I think they should all still work right?

Yes, all of my gauges work, I just used the sending units from the 454. Since the 6.5 tach works off the alternator, as long as you run the factory one or use one with a tach signal it should work as well.

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And i wanted to know how to wire in the glow plugs lol.. But i think i've got it figured out and the gauges i'm told should work per the guys at dieselplace

Glow plugs you are on your own but probably similar to wiring in the grid heater on a Cummins.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Okay just wanted to make sure all of the gauges would work.. how does the 4L80E hold up to the cummins?