Hard start when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got this truck a few months ago here in Florida and we just started having some colder temps below 70-80 and now it is hard to start. When it does (cold)start there's a lot of white smoke around turbo and coming out exhaust, and idling very low, and no response to gas pedal until it "warms up", which is 20-35 seconds. It's a 1996 6.5l K3500. It's easier to start if I leave block heater plugged in for a while , so guessing it's a glow plug issue. After it's been running it'll start easily all day and responds to pedal movement immediately.

During WTS(visible in dash after turning key, before cranking) I get expected 13 on 2, 4, and 6cyl but 0a everywhere else.
I then put the ammeter at the GP relay or what I thought was and get 0a on 2 black wires on passenger side of it, which was strange to me. I go back to where I got 13a still getting draw there. I'm not an expert. I've attached photos of where I was testing GP relay. Any ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess you have some bad glow plugs. Have you replaced them or pulled them and checked to see if they are working? I know you had another post similar to this and I can't remember. Do you have power going to all of the plugs when the WTS light is on? Take your meter and see if your getting power down to them. From what I've read rule of thumb is 100k miles replace glows and at least have the injectors pop tested. I know its a pain to get the passenger side glow plugs out. You can "test" the glow plugs by making sure they have a ground around the threads and if the tip glows its good if the shaft glows its bad. \

You shouldn't have any smoke around the turbo. Where exactly is the smoke coming from?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During WTS(visible in dash after turning key, before cranking) I get expected 13 on 2, 4, and 6cyl but 0a everywhere else.
You're saying that three out of eight glow plugs have 13 amp draw, and the other five are dead? Yeah, I bet it's hard to start when cold.

How old are the glow plugs? Old enough that they're likely to have failed?

Fix your exhaust leak at/near the turbo.