GT_80 New Member 1991 GMC K1500 SLE Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used one would probably be around $10 and I've never seen on rot out
move to mass you'll see plenty rot out with all the salt they put down in the winter,most common ones to rot are the 7.3 and 6.0 powerstrokes there are shops that specialize in doing those around here

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe your rust is any worse than ours. Like the guy said only reason his did is because it was sitting on the ground.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
I was able to get the pan off with just lifting the motor up about 4" and rotating the crank so that the counterweights on the crank were up in the block - they were causing a hang up for a bit. I still had to remove the starter, inspection cover on trans, motor mount braces that connect to the inspection cover, exhaust Y pipe, and the oil filter adapter. The Vette pan is much harder to get in and out of a truck- new pan slipped right in and old one I had to wrestle out.

I looked inside the Vette pan, and there was no indication of holes from the inside. SO I don't feel too bad about missing them. And it was only about an additional $45 in parts, and about 6 hours to fix it. I had to put a new pickup tube on the oil pump as well because the new pan is deeper.

So this is the Vette pan after I got it out - I had sanded it down in the truck to prep for JB weld, so thats why all the divots are so prominent.
You must be registered for see images attach

this is inside the pan- there was a little sediment where the holes are so it is not possible to see the holes from inside - that sediment was not there when I cleaned and installed the pan, but the pan had some sludge in it from sitting for a long time, so that sediment must have come from the bottom of the windage tray in the oil pan where I could not get my hand in there to clean it.

and here is the new pan- SPI is a premium aftermarket distributor IMO and made in canada, I bet this is as good as OEM. It went on without a hitch.

All in all I think I could have patched it or welded it, but once I got it half way out and realized how much work it was, I decided I did not want to be doing this again in a year or in the middle of winter. I have had mixed results with using 2 part epoxies- I know JB weld is good stuff, but if it's metal and I can weld it I would- just heard that the holes never weld correctly if there is any trace of oil in them, but I have burned metal together with oil and grease before, and it just usually created a stinky mess when it burns off from heat.

I scored a nice Valley brand trailer hitch for $40 from Craigslist, and that will be going on soon. I think I need to tighten my detent cable from the trans as I feel the truck doesn't hold gears long enough. It shifts nice and smooth, but doesn't stay in 1st or 2nd long enough and I know when towing I'm going to need that.

Last edited: