Grinding noise coming from...coolant tank?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
So, I bought a 1994 6.5 2500HD a week ago this tuesday. The noise started yesterday morning. I notices a random grinding noise coming from the passenger side. it just happens at random times. today I caught it with the hood up and it is coming from the coolant tank or just below it. almost sounds like a loud fast fart or gears grinding when you mis-clutch a manual transmission. My coolant level light is on but the coolant is topped off, I think that sensor is bad becasue temp hovers just below 210 like it should.. any ideas? I am stumped

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure that you are not hearing air bubbles? Head gasket issues are common on the 6.5 and it will push air into the recovery tank.

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
Ended up being the gasket on the coolant cap. was heavily dry rotted and wasn't sealing. the sound was the tank releasing pressure. probably why my engine was running a tad warmer than usual as well. Cut myself a new gasket, re topped of the coolant and problem solved. no low coolant light temps at normal and no wiered noises. level is also staying up where it should.