Grand Plans for Transmission! Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClubHuntRed

Reaction score
Hello all! Hope you are all doing well!

I've recently had a failure with my 4l60e transmission. Now, I'm pondering a couple of choices.

I'm keeping in mind my long run plans for the truck. I eventually want to have a 5.3 or 6.0 engine swapped in there.

I've heard rebuilt transmissions at Performabuilt are some of the best. If guys at LS1tech have good experience with their products running more power and beating the piss out of it, then it'll probably be just fine for me as well.

My thinking is, if I build the 4l60e then I will have to go through the process again when the 4.3 goes out since it won't fit with the new 5.3s and 6.0s (or 5.7 if we want to throw that in there).

So, it would be a waste of time, effort, and money to go this way?

If I go ahead and get a 4l80e, hopefully not need a lot of mods to fit up to the current 4.3 engine, then just re-use it after putting a new engine in it should save money in the long run?

What do you guys think?

Also, I will need this answered later, what stall converter will work best? I do not plan on drag racing it, but do want the capability to tow a few pounds (maybe a trailer and a miata... :) )

ClubHuntRed

Reaction score
Man, I am having a hard time making a decision.

I really want to put a more powerful engine in the truck. Right now I absolutely think the 5.3 LY5 is the best option for me in terms of the power and minor towing capability while retaining decent fuel economy.

But what if the new 4.3 with the 6 speed transmission will be a direct bolt in? (maybe require some electrical mods and a new driveshaft but not much else?) That is an easier swap than the 5.3?

However, I don't think I am ready to do an engine swap (along with a pedal swap and fuel line with corvette filter and re-pining electrical wires what not). It kinda makes me nervous trying to do it now. I'd like more time to find helpful build threads and build my knowledge base.

I do kind of need my truck back. But, I don't want to throw money at it only to relegate a newly built trans to the craigslist for sale classifieds at an outrageously cheap price (although I guess you guys wouldn't mind that? lol) and cost myself more money in the long run.

I'm open to all options and hope the forum members here can provide some ideas!

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
That's a hard decision to make. The only thing I was suggest before deciding is check with your states engine swap law. I know in NY you can not swap in a different motor if your vehicle is OBD II. Only the same motor of the same era is allowed. I guess if you can figure out how to program the correct VIN # into a different computer, you might be able to fake it for a while

ClubHuntRed

Reaction score
twomany...

I hadn't given that much thought at all. Added my location to my profile. Don't think it is a problem in Oklahoma but that is definitely something I will look into. If it is a problem, well I guess I'll have to stay out of trouble after doing the swap!

BTW, I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a good performance trans shop that will do kits like Performabuilt does in my area Tulsa, OK. Saving on shipping would be a BIG help. I just don't trust local shops at all. I'd trust myself to do the job right and in a clean environment (like my living room! =) )

ClubHuntRed

Reaction score
Should I try finding a cheap ass used 4l60e to swap from a junkyard in so I can use it for another year while planning a ly5/lm7 swap?

What year trans should I look for that will work with my PCM without mods?

Oklahoma currently does not have any laws regarding engine swaps as far as I know. (googled oklahoma engine swap laws)

This might be the most economical (and quickest to get the truck back up and running) choice when factoring in the swap plans.

Go or no go?

ClubHuntRed

Reaction score
Searched craigslist, found maybe 3 or 4 potential used trans (not rebuilt) from around 300-500 dollars ranging from 50k to 86k miles on them.

Might be able to recoup my costs later by reselling (I only drive about 12k miles a year so thats average). A couple of them have short warranties so that might help.

What should I look for specifically when meeting the seller to look over the trans? One would be to look in the trans pan for material (more specific?)

Help would be appreciated!

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Glad your state doesn't have laws like that regarding engine swaps.

Yes, installing a junkyard trans is a cheap way to go, but I'm always skeptical about transmissions in a junkyard. Remember, it's in there for a reason. Even crash vehicle are iffy, I've seen ones that the vehicle ran until it stopped after a crash. Overheated the motor and transmission.

As for interchanging motors, Sorry I'm no help there.

By the way, Hope you didn't have to deal with those tornados today. That had to be scary.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Check the fluid! it shouldn't have a burnt smell and be fairly clean. If it's black or smells burnt stay away. Also look for signs of leaks at the shifter lever seal, front pump seals and the tail shaft seal. The pan gasket will get changed when you replace the filter and fluid.