GMT400 4L60e to T56 swap write up *dialup warning*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there was never an issue with the ignition key. the only way that could provide a problem is if you swapped columns. you do need to add a clutch pedal switch for it to start (its a simple 2 wire switch, using the yellow and purple wires from the 4L60/80e) but there was no issues with the key at all....not related to the key, but I did have to shim my LT4 starter a little bit to get a correct engagement to the flywheel. but otherwise there have been no starting problems that I've encoutered.

if you swap PCM's for whatever reason, on a 98+ GMT400, there is a security re-learn that might need to be done, but I've never dealt with that as my '96 didn't have that feature.

KennyB01

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was never an issue with the ignition key. the only way that could provide a problem is if you swapped columns. you do need to add a clutch pedal switch for it to start (its a simple 2 wire switch, using the yellow and purple wires from the 4L60/80e) but there was no issues with the key at all....not related to the key, but I did have to shim my LT4 starter a little bit to get a correct engagement to the flywheel. but otherwise there have been no starting problems that I've encoutered.

if you swap PCM's for whatever reason, on a 98+ GMT400, there is a security re-learn that might need to be done, but I've never dealt with that as my '96 didn't have that feature.

i guess i was just sitting here putting to much tought in it. thanks

Last edited:

KennyB01

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aloicious,
i was going over some of your notes in FullSize chevy and you said you left a weight off the flywheel, it kinda confussed me. I was under the impression that the flywheel was a exact fit and i went out to the shed and looked at the one i got off a 97 camaro and did not see a weight that was bolted on? do i need to get a weight to bolt on? thanks

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the weight was from a aftermarket flywheel so a stock one may not be bolted on, it may be welded or something else, and it needs to say on. its a balancer. I had my flywheel zero balanced at the machine shop without it, then put it back on. I have never used a stock flywheel from a LTx, so I don't know where the counter weight would be at. can you post some pics of it?

KennyB01

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
what clutch are you using now, i see you have tried a couple, from what i have read from the links to other discussions the pp (pressure plates) is basicly all the same, the stock flywheel looks to have the weight casted in it so i am going to try to use it. also do you know it the t56 set up will clear stock exhaust systems. i see you are running headers. thanks

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using a spec stage 3 clutch disc and PP, with a steel spec flywheel. yeah the stock counterweight would probably be welded or cast into it. it should work fine. if its a used flywheel, get it resurfaced first. I ran the T56 with the stock exhaust just fine, I have only recently swapped to full headers and full dual 3" exhaust, it also fits just fine.

KennyB01

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
we'll got my trans back today, sent it off on may 18th and got it back on july 6th. fell like a kid on christmas day. them guys at tick performance made fun of the keisler shifter that came with the relocation kit. i'll give you guys a break down on the price if someone else wants to concider this option,
Tick level 2 T56 rebuild including shipping both way's $1149.00
2nd gear (43 teeth) $124.00
insallation of aftermarket shifter relocation kit $80.00
for right now i am going to use the stock flywheel out of a 97 Z28 and a F1 Racing stage 2 clutch and pressure plate, the reason i am not going with something a little more well known is because my job announced last week that the are moving to mexico so i will have to cut back on my spending habits. it is going to take a couple of months for me to get everything together and put it in, i will start working on what i can on weekends to work toward the instation of it, like getting the clutch master in stalled, and on that note anyone using the 1996 and up clutch master assy. will notice the puny wires they used, they are half the size of the neutral safty wires going to the automatic trans. and the ones Aloicious shows on his clutch pedel assy., i am going to pull the wires out on run the size that is going to the trans. if anyone is interested i have a high dollar Keisler shifter paper weight i will let you have for shipping coast!!!!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right on. :waytogo:

yeah that kisler shifter is a real POS. what are you going to do for a shifter?

the stock flywheel is fine, though I've never heard of that clutch setup, is that an e-bay special? if so, its probably not going to last much at all. I understand about trying to save $$. let us know how it all turns out.

what gears are you running?