GMC vs Chevy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
If you're referring to the pre 96 TBI engines then you just need to bolt your Vortec heads on to that motor and you're good to go.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What about the crank shaft sensor and the triger wheel that is not on the pre Vortec engine for just one example. Do you know if the sensor triger is a magnet that is imbeded into the crank at a persist point, or is it a wheel that can be swapped from one crank to another. Have you ever done this swap ? I am just asking. I have not done the swap, but I know that this is one difference in the two blocks.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
The trigger mounts on the crank inside the timing cover where the timing chain gear is. The sensor plugs into the bottom of the timing cover.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was just asking, I am not taking mine apart. When I do mine I will get a direct replacement Vortec 383 stroker from PMC machine. They have a direct replacement with 370 HP and a 7 year 70000 mile warranty for less than 3000. If you tune it it is good for just over 400 HP , thats my plan in the future.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
Good deal. Mine is 460hp. Here's a heads up though, if you tune it by increasing the timing and it has 11:1 compression like mine then make SURE you use a large starter and a rear brace. My base timing is 20 degrees and I cracked the outer hole of my starter boss on the block.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I won't do anything soon, my orignal Vortec srill runs to good for now. With about 208,000 miles on it, and it being my daily driver, I am in no hurry to do a swap. i just k.ow what I want. I have a friend who is running the 383 from PMC and it is a beast for the street. He is still running all the orignal CPI system.