GMC vs Chevy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bestof1999

Reaction score
I know this is the most stupid thing anyone could ask, but is there any difference between the GMC and Chevy 5.7l. Looking for rebuild kits and Everything says chevy. Can i use those kits in a GMC??

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
The vortec 5.7L is the same for chevy and gmc. They are interchangeable.

Just do not use a rebuild kit from a 95 down 5.7 as they are TBI and non roller.

bestof1999

Reaction score
Yep, almost made that mistake... Got this Suburban From a guy.. main Bearing spun and im just rebuilding the thing.. 150k i figured why not. Gotta pull the engine anyways, thanks for the help

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
Spun main bearing is bad news. Ruins the crank for sure and likely the block too.

bestof1999

Reaction score
oh tell me about it.. Getting a good deal on it thought selling an old truck with a cracked block its a good deal.. So can i swap a non vortec v8 into it? Is it just a Intake manifold swap?

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
Crack sensor would be a problem if you're sticking with the computer. My truck is carbureted with HEI ignition and mechanical fuel pump.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
And this is my 2 piece rear main carbureted Vortec 383 [emoji48]

You must be registered for see images

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only diffrence in a Chevy, and a GMC, is the grill, and the name plates. Eveything else is the same and interchangeable, as longe as the years are the same. There are some changes between certain years. 95 down are TBI non Vortec. 96 up are Vortec CPI engines. Same block, different fuel delivery and different ECMs, different heads, intake, ECT. There are more sensors on a Vortec engine also. The early 400s had a few different features also, but the engines were the same till 96. The 96 up got a different grill and interior also.