Gen V 4.3 (LV3) in a 1993 Cheyenne

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shawnmichael

Reaction score
So ... years ago I posted on here and briefly talked about my situation. My dad bought a teal 1993 Cheyenne brand new back in 1993 and I was going to be acquiring it and restoring. Fast forward 2 years and a ********* from Gulfport Mississippi named Dwayne Mahaffey has been paid over a thousand dollars to rebuild the 4.3. I just got the engine back as a bare block with a box of replacement parts. Long ago, he lost the heads, hood and I believe transmission (although he keeps telling me he's got it at a friends house). Over the past two years he's successfully done .... not much. So I'm back at square one, with essentially only a cleaned block. So to back up, I don't want any recommendations to drop an LS in it. I don't even want a V8 partly because I believe I've seen that the Cheyenne ONLY came with the 4.3 and there is some sentimentality here. I want to keep it as stock as possible (yes I realize what I'm saying).

But I've had an epiphany recently where I realized that the new 4.3L LV3 sits at about 300 hp and gets great fuel economy. Since I'll be driving the truck at least a day or two a week 100+ miles round trip to work this would be perfect. Has anyone done or considered doing a Gen V LV3 4.3 swap into their truck? Again, don't tell me to cut my losses and drop an LS in it, especially since I'm now $1k into it. I can get a low mileage LV3 on eBay for $1300, significantly less than I can get an LS for.

Many questions to follow but for now, let's start with that basic question, has anyone wanted to do it or done it?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Again, don't tell me to cut my losses and drop an LS in it, especially since I'm now $1k into it.

Just curious, how does this matter? The LV3 appears to be an aluminum block so it's not like you'll be using your stock bottom end if you do this swap.

Also where do you live that an LS engine with PCM and wiring harness is more expensive than an LV3? Around here you can find complete LQ4s for less than $1K pretty easily.

Sorry I'm no actual help. Not trying to be negative, I'm actually very interested in what you find out here as I also own a V6 C1500. Just seems like a lot of time and money to move to an inferior platform when compared to an LS V8 swap. The only benefit I can see is less weight.

shawnmichael

Reaction score
Just curious, how does this matter? The LV3 appears to be an aluminum block so it's not like you'll be using your stock bottom end if you do this swap.

Also where do you live that an LS engine with PCM and wiring harness is more expensive than an LV3? Around here you can find complete LQ4s for less than $1K pretty easily.

Sorry I'm no actual help. Not trying to be negative, I'm actually very interested in what you find out here as I also own a V6 C1500. Just seems like a lot of time and money to move to an inferior platform when compared to an LS V8 swap. The only benefit I can see is less weight.

No worries ... It's a sentimental project. I 'had' an all original, still running (albeit tired) 1993 4.3L with 300k miles. I wanted to just refresh it, keeping it all original for sentimental reasons. Since ********* Dwayne (that's the name on his birth certificate) screwed me, I still want to keep the appearance of being stock, which the 4.3L would do. Since the Cheyenne ONLY came with the 4.3, it would keep it somewhat true while giving me twice the power and fuel economy.

From just simple internet searches, not local junkyards, high mileage junkyard LS1's on eBay are $2000 and up and they've got 150k miles so in my opinion and for my purposes, I'd need to turn right around and freshen them up. So what would be the point, right? If I can get a 300HP, 25+mpg motor with only 19k miles for $1300 ....?

And inferior would be arguable. The question is why one would be doing the swap. I'm not looking for a towing rig, mud rig, drag strip rig, etc. I'm looking for a Cruising the Coast (MS Gulf Coast) and daily driving rig that at least has the appearance of being original even if it would be a one off custom.

Reaction score
LV3? so the 2014+ motor? You do realize that is a direct injected motor based on the Gen 5 LT1 right? shares ZERO parts with a 1993 4.3l. Will look as foreign in that engine bay as a ls1 or gen 3/4 v8.

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has sentimental value as well. It's a 1994 c1500 W/T plain jane single cab short bed with manual windows, no cruise, rubber floor and a bench. It went from a bad 4.3 V6 to a 5.3 LS motor. 4 years later, I still have it and drive it. 12k miles since the swap. Sorry but just trying to wrap my head around the thought of a newer V6 swap and the cost of it. LS series swap like a 5.3 can be had for well under $1k with a trans and full wire harness and ECU. The 4.8cam be had for way less

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another thought on the sentimental side of things...

I also acquired my V6 truck from my dad, and have a lot of good memories tied up with it. First street legal vehicle I ever drove in my life. He special ordered it from GM new and it has a very strange combination of options. I love that truck and would never want to do anything to it that my dad wouldn't approve of.

Unfortunately I've blown up its 4L60E twice. The rebuild was beefed up pretty significantly and I still killed it. I'm sick of dealing with that, so I've decided to 4L80E swap it. Before I came to that conclusion though, I asked my dad how he felt about me changing things up that drastically. His response was something along the lines of "Why would you want to keep spending money on something that doesn't work for you? It's your truck." He's all for it, and I think he's happy that I was even concerned about it enough to ask him. It's still the same machine and it's still weird, I'm just improving it.

I understand the allure of keeping things as close to factory as possible, and sentimental attachment, but practicality is worth considering too. Curious to see how your project turns out, and good luck whichever way you decide to go with it!

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Hell if you want a 4.3 so bad I have one that is coming out of a 93 c1500 cheyenne lol. My plan for the truck was a 4.8 or a 5.3 but I never got that far. Never considered another V6.

I do find it strange that you guys feel odd about replacing OE components with better/newer components. It's your truck it's already sentimental enough between the cab, body, frame, seats, etc. Changing things just makes it better. My Dodge was my father's truck he bought new, yeah it has a hemi in it but I'm not gonna be like "Oh I have sentimental attachment to the 5.7L Hemi" like that would so not stop me from shoving a hellcat engine in it if I could.

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
LS series swap like a 5.3 can be had for well under $1k with a trans and full wire harness and ECU.

5.3 with a tranny for less than $1,000? Where at and how many miles on it?

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5.3 with a tranny for less than $1,000? Where at and how many miles on it?
Take a look at your local junkyards or check www.car-parts.com. 99-02 4.8 & 5.3 were drive by cable, easier to swap with. 6.0 is the way to go but too $$ for them. You can also look for a crashed donor, which would be ideal. Miles really do not mean anything to these LS motors, so anything under 200k miles your are good with.

Check out www.ls1truck.com as there is a plethora of info for the swap, as well as www.ls1tech.com and www.lt1swap.com . The last website tells you, in detail, how to rewire the LS wire harness which may look intimidating, but I am no professional and was able to do it with no issues. My truck runs fine, no check engine light on.

Check out this video to see why the LS motor is so popular in swaps:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Last edited: