Gear Vendor overdrive with a manual transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with a manual transmission and a Gear Vendor overdrive unit? Is it a complicated setup to drive? Shifting the transmission normally while engaging and disengaging the overdrive? Does the auto-shift work with a manual transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you driven a semi? Feels about the same.

The auto shift works but it wont auto engage until over ~30mph but in manual it can engage lower.

A buddy of mine has an electric hi/low knob (from a big rig) on his shifter for his gearvendor

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
I looked into one for my truck but it is $4k and I just don't see it being worth it.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't driven a semi before but I have seen it done. Do you have to disengage the clutch to engage the overdrive or can you just flip the switch and let it go? I am looking at this option as opposed to swapping to an NV4500. $3000 doesn't seem like that bad of an investment.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
They were installed in a lot of class 'C' motorhomes. 1 ton van conversions with big blocks. Behind T400's if the M/H was a GM. If you have a wrecker around you that specializes in M/H's, they usually go for about $1000.00. They are just a secondary planetary unit. Few moving parts. They are rebuildible.
There are 2 manufacturers. Gear Vendors, & another that I can't recall the name of, which are usually cheaper than the G/V units. G/V only makes a GM stickshift version for the NV4500.
IIRC, G/V makes 2 versions. One for up to 1000hp & another for over 1000hp.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I put one in my old F350 behind a 460/3 speed. I really didn't drive it much after that before I sold it... But honestly, I didn't feel like it was worth the money I spent... But then again this was on a totally different truck.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have seen the Dakota box from Advance Adapters but it is a manual unit and doesn't handle the power that a GV unit would.