Gauge problems (please read)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. The oil pressure gauge pegs out when the engine is idling but when put into gear and it starts to move it drops to about 45psi (which is about normal). Would this be a sending unit issue?

2. The gas gauge was working but yesterday I went to start it it pegged out past full and its been there since. The sending unit (and pump and fuel tank) is brand new and the ground going to the sending unit is fresh (bare metal). Is there another ground for the fuel gauge/cluster I should be looking/worried for?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And what are you working on..... is it a Peugeot, mini, DeLorean...lol....

Just messing with yah a bit..lol.. but we do need to know what you have... year atleast... tap talk doesn't show signature info either if that info is in your sig.... and your profile says nothing either...

sent from what use to be a great country...

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am wondering if there is a common ground running for the cluster?

I got more information today about the history of this truck. It was stolen in 1992 and the steering column was ripped out of it. I am wondering if they didn't break a common ground somewhere?
The fuel gauge worked for about 6 weeks after installing the new tank/sender and cleaning the ground spot with some emery cloth.

But I turned the key to the run position and it read 1/2 a tank (which it had 1/2 in it) but when I cranked it, it pegged to full and its been there since. If I kill it the needle will come down to about 1/2 to 3/4 a tank but when I turn the key to run it pegs out to full again.

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Tahoes fuel guage is doing the same thing it's almost always pegged about 1/2" past full. I have yet to look into it. But when I do I'll update here.