Full Throttle Sputtering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SweetNLo

Reaction score
I have a 93 C1500 and swapped in a crate 350 Vortec engine (which has less than 10k miles on it). The Vortec motor came out of a 92 Camaro. I was able to test out the engine in the Camaro before making the swap and the engine ran perfectly. The engine is running really well in my truck with one exception. When I floor it from a dead stop, the truck performs poorly. It falls flat on it's face, and sputters and hesitates to get going. If I were to go 3/4 throttle the truck performs just fine. At all other times, the truck is performing like I want it. This truck should not have an issue doing a burnout as it is more powerful than my previous motor. My transmission was rebuilt and I have 2000 stall on it.
The truck behaved similarly with my previous motor. I could not light 'em up from a dead stop. There are some common denominators with parts on the swap. I'm using my original throttle body, distributor, EGR valve, knock sensor, and serpentine system. The timing was set to 0 degrees (w/ the tan wire disconnected). I'm going to do a fuel pressure test this weekend. Then if that doesn't solve it, I'm going to advance the timing a little. Can anyone suggest anything else to check? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool, look at the data stream.

TPS, MAP, short- and long-term fuel trims, coolant temp sensor would all be important.

Catalyst getting plugged?

Yes, test fuel pressure, and make sure fuel filter isn't plugging.

Get a spark-tester calibrated for HEI, and make sure the coil isn't weak.

Verify the usual tune-up parts--cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, air filter, etc.