Fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1998 Suburban isn't a daily driver so I rarely fill the giant fuel tank over the 1/2 mark. I topped it off yesterday for vacation/road trip and I overfilled it. A little fuel spilled over the top of the tank, enough to wet the pavement pretty well. Is this normal problem caused by overfilling the tank, or does it indicate another problem that I need to check out?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like you may need a fuel pump gasket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like you may need a fuel pump gasket.

I hope not. I just replaced the fuel pump so the gasket is brand new. I am getting a CEL so I might have flooded over into the evap system. I'll need to check the code later.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it's possible that you overfilled it that much but unlikely considering the pump would have cut off several times. I have seen many people pinch or tear that gasket when locking the fuel pump module down.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the fuel would be gushing out of the filler tube way before it flooded into the evap system. I fill both of my trucks all the way every time I go to the pump and I've never had anything leak.

You mention that you rarely fill the tank up... This is not really good practice as it can allow rust to form inside the tank above the fluid level. If I were a betting man I'd say it's either the fuel pump gasket as mentioned, or your tank is rusting through somewhere up top.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the fuel would be gushing out of the filler tube way before it flooded into the evap system. I fill both of my trucks all the way every time I go to the pump and I've never had anything leak.

You mention that you rarely fill the tank up... This is not really good practice as it can allow rust to form inside the tank above the fluid level. If I were a betting man I'd say it's either the fuel pump gasket as mentioned, or your tank is rusting through somewhere up top.
Not looking forward to it, but I guess I'll be tearing it down again to check my work.

The problem with my truck has been that it's not a daily driver. As it spends most of its time parked there's the problem of developing corrosion in the tank, but also the other edge of the sword - 42 gallons of gas to treat/keep from going bad over time.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I feel like I've been driving mine just enough that I don't need fuel stabilizer lately.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I feel like I've been driving mine just enough that I don't need fuel stabilizer lately.
I have a company truck for a daily driver, so my hope is that driving this thing once a week to store sloshes around enough fuel to keep the tank clean/coated.

I cheated and cut an access panel to replace the pump before, so at least it won't be too painful to access it again. ;)