Front Suspension Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have to pull the unit bearing off of the knuckle. 4 bolts from the back and the bearing assembly will come off with the brake rotor attached.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So I got the nut off and the caliper. How are the rotors supposed to come off? Just slide off the lug nuts? Mine seem to be fused to the hub.

You have to pull the hubs...... 4 bolts on the backside of each one. The lugs hold the rotor to the backside of the hubs. Make sure you use a six point socket, fully seated, on the heads of the bolts. You don't want to chance rounding the bolt heads off. I bought mostly new bolts to reattach the new hubs, as I didn't want to take any chances for next time since I had a few bolts that were questionable.

That would be a pretty good trick to slide any rotor over lug nuts.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.

You must be registered for see images attach
[/URL]

I made it pretty much this far on both sides with the exeption of the left tie rod end. I'm thinking I am just going to get new rotors and wheel studs. Two of the studs are pretty munched up and would retread without some serious force. I'll keep you guys updated tomorrow. Thanks again for all the quick help!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If you've got a lot of miles on that truck, and you've got the cash, it might be a good idea to get new hubs, as long as you're in there. Of course Rockauto is the best deal, so the truck would be down for a few days. The Timken hubs come with new studs and ABS sensors.

Reaction score
I actually have then waiting to be installed! Stoked that they come with studs. I'll go get some rotors tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
It would be cool if you made a parts list with prices, part numbers, and where you got them for others to follow. I've seen similar questions come up often. Front end rebuild is something a lot of people like to do when their vehicles are 150-200k miles and 15+ years old.

Reaction score

How do I clean this? What is that hole? There is one open and one clogged.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Poke the mud out with a small screw driver? Spray it off with brake cleaner. You just need the mating surfaces clean, really. The back side of that is open.

Reaction score

Got stuck again so I quit for the day. The hammer trick isn't working for the lower BJs. Got a pickle fork and went through the back of the spindle hammering it toward the hole. I decided to break mid way through because I was tired. Any advice for popping them off?