Front spring removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got my springs today and would like to start on it. Is there a good guide on removing springs?
galaxy s3

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
unbolt the sway bar end links
unbolt the tie rod ends
secure the truck on jack stands while the jack is under the lower control arm with some tension on the spring
loosen the castle nut on the lower ball joint (but leave the nut threaded)
hit the lower control arm with a big hammer until the lower ball joint turns loose of the spindle
remove the castle nut that you loosened and lower the jack slowly
once all the tension is off the spring, push down on the lower control arm and lower the spring out of the pocket

you can find videos on youtube regarding coil spring removal...

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
The springs are under a great deal of pressure. So please do be careful. You can usually rent a spring compressor at a local automotive store (like Advance Auto) for a couple bucks. It will make sure the spring stays compressed and uncompresses it safety. If it were me, I would use them. I saw a spring once shoot off and travel almost 100 feet. If someone was standing there, they would have probably needed a trip to the ER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG7cBMjjq8U

cochino12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always run a chain through the spring just in case it decides to shoot out it wont do any damage.