Front freeze plug leaking!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alljackedup408

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well crap haha.

Was loosing coolant but could not find any leaks... well digging deeper last night found a small puddle on top of a skid plate.. .and found the front drive side freeze plug was dripping!!

Anyone know the size of this plug? Wanna have it ahead of time before I pull it out.

This is gonna be a pain... gotta pull the compress, ps pump and that big bracket that holds them.

FUN!!!!! At least it's a plug and not a head gasket....

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
All 8 freeze plugs for a 350 chevy are 1-5/8". It won't be so bad to get to, better that one than one of the ones in the bell housing or behind a motor mount. I always use the rubber expanding plugs if i have to change one. They are SOOOO much easier to install and i have never had one leak.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm generally would recommend the rubber plug as well but I have had trouble with them a couple times, on the one behind the starter, first plug went in a little crooked so it was mostly my fault - didn't leak until maybe a year later though. When I went to remove it OMG what an enormous disaster, it had swollen up enough inside the block I couldn't get it out even prying on it with a crowbar. Drove me nuts. Finally got it out and put another one in, much more careful with the install, perfectly straight...and the SOB began leaking not much later.

Not sure why I had so much trouble with them on that particular truck when I've used them successfully in the past. It's got a steel plug in it now...and fortunately I don't have to maintain that particular truck anymore. ;)

Richard

Alljackedup408

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha!!

Thanks for the info.

I have never used one of them rubber plugs... was thinking about doing the Brass one.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I've never tried the rubber plugs, but I've never had problems with brass plugs.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i had 3 rubber plugs in my block, all started leaking at the same time and they were so swllen i ended up taking the hour to pull the motor and reseal everything.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Thats odd, i have never heard of anyone having issues with them. I know the steel or brass ones can be a MAJOR PITA to get started in the hole sometimes. Especially with limited space. You guys that had problems with them, was the coolant in the truck clean? If the cooling system was a nasty mess, i could see it being more of a problem with the rubber.

Alljackedup408

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replaced the starter last night.. was starting to free wheel... found the brass plug behind it was replaced recently... good to know haha.