From 2 Catalytic Converters to 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to replace a cat on my truck and was thinking of doing the whole exhaust at the same time. Headers to 3" mandrel bent tube, then to a two-into-one before the cat., a single cat, than a single 3" all the way back. My question is can I get away with using one cat versus two and not set any codes for inefficiency? I'd be welding in bungs for both downstream O2s. I have to pass emissions so deleting the last two O2's is not an option.

slipping

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here in CA they'll fail you on visual inspection. On my Lincoln, I had 2 magnaflow high flow cats and all numbers passed awesome but because it came with 4 from the factory it failed.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here in CA they'll fail you on visual inspection. On my Lincoln, I had 2 magnaflow high flow cats and all numbers passed awesome but because it came with 4 from the factory it failed.

I think you guys are quite a bit more stringent than Oregon. They definitely use a mirror to check for a cat under the vehicle, but on OBDII they plug into the Comm port and that is it. No under hood checks or anything like that. If for some reason it fails, I'm going to throw a second one in there.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
thats all bullsh*t,i never pay attention to those laws i paid for my truck i do whatever the hell i want to it,i think everyone should think the same way if not then you guys better pull your pants up and stop bending over.They have these emission testing for gas motors but not diesels (in nj anyway) when these old school buses put out more blue/black smoke then a pig rich 2stroke.

That is so untrue. Gas engines have it easy when it comes to emissions compared to diesel engines.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
if you go with what came out of it you should be good....make sure that you don't have any header or exhaust manifold leaks...they can burn up a cat in 12 minutes

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you go with what came out of it you should be good....make sure that you don't have any header or exhaust manifold leaks...they can burn up a cat in 12 minutes

Good point, more oxygen is going to get that thing cherry hot.

In Portland they don't test light duty 3/4-1 ton diesels either.