Fluid capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noswed

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm a happy owner of a Tahoe LT 6.5 4WD 1996 living in Norway.
Hope that someone in this amazing forum can help me with the fluid capacity for the rear and front differential and the transfer case.
There is a 4L80E transmission on car and a 8.5 10 bolt rear diff. Model of the transfer case I don't know.
Someone here who has experience with Red Line transmission oils/fluids?
Noswed

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those capacities are listed in the service manual.

The manuals are linked-to on this site for download.

www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-service-manuals.43575/

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm a happy owner of a Tahoe LT 6.5 4WD 1996 living in Norway.
Hope that someone in this amazing forum can help me with the fluid capacity for the rear and front differential and the transfer case.
There is a 4L80E transmission on car and a 8.5 10 bolt rear diff. Model of the transfer case I don't know.
Someone here who has experience with Red Line transmission oils/fluids?
Noswed
Hi-Red Line is a good stuff-I didn't use it,but was going to-plans changed,but I would defo use it/will use it in future. Just check if you have a locker in the back(RPO G80) and if the oil you want to use has friction modifier-G80 doesn't like it-use one without in this case.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, I had always wondered that the Tahoe with the 6.5TD got for rear axle. IIRC the Suburban models with the same engine got the 9.5" axle (?), per previous posts somewhere here.

In any case, a 6.5TD Tahoe is an extremely rare find!