Fan Clutch and gear ratio???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_blood

Reaction score
Ok so its time to replace the fan clutch... when i was getting one they asked me what my gear ratio was. two questions

1. Why does that matter?
2. Since im running bigger tires should i get one for a higher gear ratio?

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i agree that seems like a crazy question but i work in a garage and they ask when ordering, if yoou are not having a problem i would stay with what cam on it originaly

blue_blood

Reaction score
yea thats what i ended up doing... as well as a 160 thermostat... ill see how it goes

theoutlaw

Reaction score
They were trying to determine if you have a heavy duty cooling system or not. They asked me that question when I was shopping for a radiator and hoses.

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea thats what i ended up doing... as well as a 160 thermostat... ill see how it goes

keep a close eye on your fuel mileage with the 160 thrermostat in there, you will probably see a slight drop, these trucks are designed to be run with a 195 in them

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Seems like a weird way to determine a cooling system part. Seems like GVWR would be more appropriate.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a 180 in mine because I knew I had a 1000 miles of towing a loaded enclosed trailer. Damn thing would barely hit 190* with the trailer, 160 without. Went back to a 195 and my heater works again and it warms up much quicker. Still stays at 210* whenever I hook a load to it. And I still don't think I've ever heard my fan clutch actually engage in the last 5 years.

I'd guess you have to be in a super warm climate to really make use of the 160* t-stat in these motors.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
..... And I still don't think I've ever heard my fan clutch actually engage in the last 5 years.

I don't think the fans are normally audible at anything but low speeds. Only once have I seen my fan running slow enough to grab it. That was at the car wash, so the engine had run, and the silicone inside the clutch was well distributed. Normally when they sit the silicone pools to one side so they engage on startup even with a cold engine. At least that's my theory. I do know it's normal to hear the fan on startup, Though.