Exhaust leak and running rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBMG270

Reaction score
New to the forum but I've used the site to help figure things out before. I have a 1996 sierra 1500 4x4 with a 5.7. Bought the truck a few months ago and has been relatively problem free since then. I was on a long drive a couple days ago, about 100 miles, and I've been making this same trip alot lately for work. On my way home the other day the truck got real loud out of nowhere, the leak is definitely in the manifold or y pipe. Haven't had a chance to really check it out but from just a quick look the manifolds seem intact and no holes in the y pipe and everything felt tight. Thinking the donut blew out. But since the exhaust started leaking its been running rough at low rpm. Idle is just a little bit choppy, nothing too bad, but just cruising at light throttle below 2 grand it sputters and jerks. Almost like it's starving for fuel. But as soon as I give it more gas it clears right up and runs fine. The lighter I am on the pedal the worse it is. Just thought it was weird these both started at the same time, I do have a check engine light on for a bad downstream o2 and maf sensor. Cleaned the maf a while ago and it cleared up the hesitation I had when accelerating quickly. Never checked to see if the code cleared or not. Has anyone had a similar issue? I tried searching online but all I could find was posts about running rough at idle. Nothing that was the same as what I have going on. Any help is much appreciated.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be your exhaust leak is allowing air in causing the O2 sensor to get bad readings and the PCM is trying to compensate for it.