Exhaust Advice/Opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Well it is tax return season. And I want to possibly re do my exhaust. I have stock manifolds which in not looking to replace right now. My exhaust consist of the original factory exhaust including cats all the way to the Y pipe where it was cut and straight pipes were ran. It now has true duals. I want to cut off the cats but I don't want it too loud. I would like to do everything from the manifolds back. What are y'alls recommendations?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just did the exhaust on my 454 vortec couple weeks back.

Deleted the cats. Left the stock down pipes, used 3" to 2.5" reducers, 2.5" pipe from there to a jones maxflow dual in/out 2.5" internal x pipe with dual 2.5" pipes. Pics in my build thread. Sounds great. Not too loud. Ive been meaning to get an exhaust clip. Gonna have to go out in a bit and make some noice lol

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is video sound of the exhaust. Not great quality, just my phone taped to the hitch. Im pretty heavy footed during this but the nice thing about this setup is quiet when you want and loud when you want. Really depends on your pedal control
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PapaGrune

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been trying to find exhaust that I would want to use on my future project. '88 to '94 SCSB.
I have a 454, turbo 400 and 12 bold rear-end in dad's old '73 G.M.C. This is what I am going to use in my project. BUT.. I can not stand any drone in the cab!!!! I had a '89 SCSB with the V6-5pseed with Flowmaster 44's on it... WOW... I hated it!!! I drove it to Columbus, GA to pick up a car and hall it back to Texas... Other than the road on I-10 in Louisianian into Texas that was so rough I had to slow down to 40 MPH to keep it from beating us to death...

The truck did a good job, the exhaust drove me nuts..Plus I am a guy who down shifts cars with manual transmissions. Old School from 3 on the tree days as a kid. . So how was the noise level inside the truck? You are very gutsy taping your phone to the hitch. lol

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Windows closed there is virtually no drone. Pretty quiet in the cab actually.

Since the new exhaust it has gotten pretty smelly. One of the old cats was still good that I removed. I'm thinking of throwing on some universal cats. Probably make the exhaust quieter yet.

I was kinda nervous about the phone setup. I figured I'd get back and it would be gone lol.

I'll see about having the girlfriend record some while I do some passes