Engine removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brockali

Reaction score
Hey guys, just lookin for some insight. I have to remove the engine out of my 92 k1500 4x4, and i'm just wondering what the process would be. ive never done an engine removal on a 4x4, and i have to do it in my driveway. if you guys could give me as much detail as possible that would be fricken awesome!!!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Pretty much exactly the same as a 2wd.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
If its just the engine you need to remove, I would suggest leaving the trans and transfer case in the truck. The trans shouldnt fall much, if at all.
The hardest part is probably going to be getting the exhaust loose.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If its just the engine you need to remove, I would suggest leaving the trans and transfer case in the truck. The trans shouldnt fall much, if at all.
The hardest part is probably going to be getting the exhaust loose.
Easier to drop the trans imo
im guessing i'll need lots of penetrating fluid or wd40
No not really there's no bolts that get rusty that need to be removed

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I'd leave the transmission in if I was you. Take your time. Take good pics beforehand of all wiring connections and stuff. Know that plastic connectors get brittle, and be careful with the little tabs on quick connectors. Label wires with painters tape and a sharpie if you need to. Bag and tag parts as they are removed. Take notes on what is reusable and what should be replaced, and what should be cleaned before reinstallation. This way there are no holdups or parts runs when you're ready to drop it back in.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
So you guy all leave the trans hang by 1 rubber mount?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, just lookin for some insight. I have to remove the engine out of my 92 k1500 4x4, and i'm just wondering what the process would be. ive never done an engine removal on a 4x4, and i have to do it in my driveway. if you guys could give me as much detail as possible that would be fricken awesome!!!

I pull the least possible in the truck. Starting from the top. Air filter, throttle cables, fuel lines (use 2 wrenches on the fittings). Grab the distributor but leave the plug wires, you don't want to break the distributor on the firewall. Then remove the wire harness by being careful of the plastic clips, I use a small flat blade to assist. Next I remove the fan clutch and throw 2 nuts back on the water pump to retain the pulley. I remove the upper and lower radiator shroud followed by the radiator hoses and heater hoses. The radiator is next, use a flare wrench on the fittings. Remove the battery ground at the front of the engine on the passenger side near the balancer. Move the a/c compressor from its bracket but don't remove the lines, it will sit out of the way. Pull the power steering pump to get to the lines, you're going to have to do it anyway. You need a puller for the pulley, you can rent one from most parts stores. I finish up the top side by pulling the 4 bell housing bolts that I can get from the top as well as the tranny dipstick tube and the ground on the back of the passenger side head.

The bottom; I usually drop the starter first then I do the electrical for the front diff, knock sensor and remove the nuts for the wiring heat shield tube from the passenger side. If there are struts that go between the engine mounts and the bell housing I pull those next. If not then it is time to pull the torque converter cover and the torque converter bolts. Once the converter is loose, slide it back the .25-.5" into the tranny. Pull the last bell housing bolts. Cuss like a veteran sailor and drop the exhaust if you haven't had to already. Undo the oil cooler lines at the filter adapter. There is just a wire clip retaining them but the can be a pain. 2 motor mount through bolts and you should be able to yank it.

I'm sure that I forgot a step or 2 but that is most of it.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I think I have Alot less steps than you and i pull the trans lol.