engine overload?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLACK&chrome

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truck dogs under acceleration past 1/3 throttle. Figured it was due to faulty distributor as it was a rainy day and i know there was a crack in OEM distributor. so finally bit the bullet bought new MSD distributor due to its not plastic. Well it didnt fix my problem. Changed out plugs and wires, still no fix. However today i notices it runs perfect when its cold. AS soon as everything thoroughly warms up is when it starts ******* again. Fuel pump a year old along with filter. EGR, TPS, MAP sensor all year old. distributor replaced at shop.. should have done timing also. so i'm assuming thats not it. also since its kinda computer ran on these.

so my question is what would cause it to dog out or over load when it warms up?

99 Chevy K250 ccsb 5.7 4l80e

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This probably isn't your issue, but just FYI my group of friends has not had great experiences with MSD distributors. I'd rather run OEM than MSD personally.

I'd grab an infrared thermometer and get a reading on your exhaust before and after the cats. They might be clogging up and restricting exhaust flow.

BLACK&chrome

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This probably isn't your issue, but just FYI my group of friends has not had great experiences with MSD distributors. I'd rather run OEM than MSD personally.

I'd grab an infrared thermometer and get a reading on your exhaust before and after the cats. They might be clogging up and restricting exhaust flow.

yea i have read of that mainly just got due to the fact its not plastic so it wont crack or burn through.. mine had evidence of both. I just find it really weird that it runs perfect cold or even semi warm. but once it has ran enough that everything is truely warm is when i experience the problem most.

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coolant temp sensor. Could be faulty and telling the computer the engine is a different temp than what it is. Runs great when cold because it's running more fuel through it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^ That is definitely a good possibility.

BLACK&chrome

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coolant temp sensor. Could be faulty and telling the computer the engine is a different temp than what it is. Runs great when cold because it's running more fuel through it.

thats possibly i guess, no check engine light, no smoke and well winter fuel and 3/4ton never equal good gas so.. its only $20 so i'll give it a try

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
thats possibly i guess, no check engine light, no smoke and well winter fuel and 3/4ton never equal good gas so.. its only $20 so i'll give it a try

Make sure you get the sensor you need, there's two of them on the Vortec engines. One for the signal to the PCM and one for the gauge cluster. Pretty sure the one that sends the signal to the PCM is the one closest to the thermostat.

nicklatech

cummins in a chevy
Reaction score
you said you changed the fuel filter. Did mean that you changed bag fuel filter AND the inline fuel filter on the frame?