Engine loping after cold start - '94 5.7 350 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is loping after a cold start. The loping stops as soon as the engine warms. I'm thinking it might be the EGR valve but I'm hoping for some expert suggestions here to confirm/debunk my uneducated guess...

I thought I've seen this prob posted/resolved here in the past but I couldn't find it via search, so I'm sorry if this is a repeat (which I'm sure it is). The truck has a new oil pressure sender and new knock sensor, and it runs fine after the truck warms. edit: new IAC valve also, which I installed just before setting base idle.

Possibly related:

I've recently (past week) set the base timing and base idle properly after replacing intake gaskets. The engine was stalling at idle in traffic (in Drive). I know it was definitely getting enough air to avoid stalling because the base idle was set correctly, so I figured the ECM must be limiting fuel flow whenever the truck stalled at idle in traffic, which led me to figure the O2 sensor was the culprit (I had replaced the O2 sensor less than a year ago). I checked Delphi's e-catalog and realized I was using the wrong O2 sensor. So I guessed my O2 sensor was causing the problem because it was either the wrong sensor or was going bad.

Anyway, I disconnected the O2 sensor and the problem resolved itself. My truck is idling fine now in traffic with the O2 sensor disconnected (check engine light on, of course).

IF I have the same stall problem after the new O2 sensor is connected then I'll be really confused.

Currently I have the Delphi ES10966 O2 sensor but I don't know what the differences are between it and the new ES10005 I ordered :shrug: